Problems with tesla coil, looking for suggestions

In summary: Did you use enough capacitance?Are you getting high enough voltages?What is the frequency of your spark?What is the voltage on the primary?What is the voltage on the secondary?
ttwitchh
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but at this point I'm a little bit desperate, so hopefully I can get some suggestions here...

I'm working on a project in which I'm building a Tesla coil. We're using a 15kV transformer, about 15nF capacitance (six 10 nF (16 kV rated) capacitors, three sets of two in parallel) , 10 winds on the primary coil, ~2000 winds on the secondary.

When we first turned on the tesla coil, we got some nice looking 8 in. sparks from the dome, spark gap was firing like a gatling gun - the whole thing was really nice and impressive. We let it run for a little bit, may have turned it off and on, and we watched some impressive sparking happening at the base. The middle of our capacitor bank sparked to ground (~6 inches away - apparently the wooden base is grounded, who knew...) and blew one of our capacitors.

We decided to isolate the capacitors, so we build a box for them out of nonconductive plastic, placed that in the circuit, turned it on, and blew another capacitor. So we built an airtight tube, filled it with insulating oil, placed the capacitors in and sealed it. Turned it on, and watched a big, thick spark arc through the oil as it broke down (again, breaking down across ~6 in., and blew two more capacitors .

At this point, we're all out of ideas. Our personal deadline for the project was the end of next week, and we have no idea where to proceed. The breakdowns that we're seeing suggest that we're getting voltages well over 30 kV, approaching hundreds of kV, just at the base of the tower. We have no idea where this voltage is coming from, so we have no idea what to try next. We're extremely hesitant to try again, as all we have is a single capacitor left.

Please, any thoughts or suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You have pairs of capacitors in series, connected in parallel?
There's the thing. Consider that:
a--||-b-||--c
the voltage on point b is floating, and charge there may accumulate over time.
The leakage of those two capacitors will not necessarily be equal. You need to connect 3 capacitors in parallel, also in parallel with a resistor (e.g. 100M resistor made of 10x 10M in series), then connect *that* in series. So it is like
Code:
+--||-+-||--+
+--||-+-||--+
+--||-+-||--+
+--r1-+-r2--+
where r1=r2=100M
Then *hopefully* it won't blow any more.

Also, what is your TC circuit? Draw it. There are different circuits. You must ground the primary, through separate ground ideally (maybe your grounding sucks).

Did you use leak resistors that force the voltage to spread evenly over the capacitors?

1. What are some common problems with tesla coils?

Some common problems with tesla coils include sparking or arcing, overheating, insufficient power output, and interference with nearby electronic devices.

2. How can I fix sparking or arcing in my tesla coil?

To fix sparking or arcing, try adjusting the spacing between the primary and secondary coils, making sure there are no loose connections, and using a higher voltage source.

3. Why is my tesla coil overheating?

There are a few reasons why a tesla coil may overheat, including a short circuit in the primary coil, faulty wiring, or inadequate cooling. Check for any issues with the wiring and make sure the cooling system is functioning properly.

4. How can I increase the power output of my tesla coil?

To increase the power output of a tesla coil, you can try using a higher voltage source, adding more windings to the secondary coil, and optimizing the capacitance and inductance of the circuit.

5. What can I do about interference with nearby electronic devices?

To reduce interference with nearby electronic devices, you can try shielding the tesla coil with metal or using a Faraday cage. Additionally, adjusting the frequency of the tesla coil may help minimize interference.