Looking for suggestions with FRAPCON

• Thread starter pouyan.najafi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suggestions
In summary, the student would like to focus on modeling a VVER-1000 reactor and would like to hear more suggestions from the audience.
pouyan.najafi
hi all.
I am a student of Nuclear Engineering. i don't have access to FRAPCON's source to make some changes and make it suitable for my studying but I have access to executable version of FRAPCON. I'm looking for some suggestions to work with FRAPCON on WWER reactors that help me to publish a paper.
colud you help me?
thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
What version of Frapcon?

Without introducing new models that requires access to the source code, it's not clear what one would publish.

One can do sensitivity studies on inputs and input options regarding impact on outputs, e.g., cladding strain and rod internal pressure.

One would need some detailed power histories for a reasonable comparison of effect of power operation and fuel management strategy, e.g., comparing annual cycles with 18 or 24 month cycles. Does one plant to model VVER-1000 type fuel, or VVER-440, or some other type?

Astronuc said:
What version of Frapcon?

Without introducing new models that requires access to the source code, it's not clear what one would publish.

One can do sensitivity studies on inputs and input options regarding impact on outputs, e.g., cladding strain and rod internal pressure.

One would need some detailed power histories for a reasonable comparison of effect of power operation and fuel management strategy, e.g., comparing annual cycles with 18 or 24 month cycles. Does one plant to model VVER-1000 type fuel, or VVER-440, or some other type?

first I appreciate and then I'm sorry for some missing informations.
I have access to V3.4 and V3.5 and I would like to focus on VVER-1000 reactor.
I wish I had access to the source code but it's impossible. may be I could finish own code based on FRAPCON's manual to make some changes and use it in my projects, this year.
I liked your idea about using FRAPCON in fuel management. I should make some research around it and I'm ready to hear more suggestions.
thank you

What is FRAPCON?

FRAPCON (Fuel Rod Analysis Program for CONtention) is a computer code used to simulate the behavior of nuclear fuel rods in power reactors. It is commonly used by nuclear engineers and scientists to analyze the performance of fuel rods under various operating conditions.

How does FRAPCON work?

FRAPCON works by using mathematical models to simulate the thermal, mechanical, and chemical behavior of nuclear fuel rods. It takes into account factors such as temperature, pressure, and irradiation history to predict the performance of the fuel rods.

What type of data is needed to use FRAPCON?

FRAPCON requires input data such as the composition and dimensions of the fuel rod, as well as information about the reactor operating conditions. This data can be obtained from experiments, reactor operation data, or other simulations.

What are the limitations of FRAPCON?

FRAPCON is a highly complex and sophisticated code, but like any computer program, it has its limitations. For example, it may not accurately predict the behavior of fuel rods under extreme conditions or in situations where there are significant uncertainties in the input data.

How is FRAPCON used in the nuclear industry?

FRAPCON is used in the nuclear industry for a variety of purposes, including designing and optimizing fuel rod configurations, assessing the safety and reliability of nuclear reactors, and evaluating the effects of potential accidents or incidents. It is an important tool for ensuring the safe and efficient operation of nuclear power plants.