Looking for the name of a class of ODE:

  • Thread starter Thread starter Monochrome
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Class Ode
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Monochrome
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



[tex]M(x,y)y^{'}(x) + N(x,y) = 0[/tex]
There exists:
[tex]\phi(x,y)[/tex]
Such that
[tex]\frac{\partial\phi(x,y)}{\partial x}=N(x,y)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial\phi(x,y)}{\partial y}=M(x,y)[/tex]

I'm not looking for a solution to anything particular to this but I can't find the type in my notes and I can't google it unless I know the name.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That is an exact equation since
[tex]d\phi= M(x,y)dy+ NIx,y)dx[/itex]<br /> is an exact differential.<br /> <br /> Of course, since the differential equation says [itex]d\phi= 0[/itex], [itex]\phi(x,y)= 0[/itex] is the general solution.[/tex]
 
By the way, in physics, such a differential would correspond to a "conservative force field" and the function [itex]\phi[/itex] would be the "potential function".
 
Thanks.
Just a question: The I after the N is a typo yes? And how did you get [itex]d\phi= 0[/itex]?
 
Last edited:
Yex, that was a typo- my finger was aiming at "("!

Since [itex]\phi[/itex] is a function of both x and y, [itex]d\phi /dx[/itex] would make no sense. By the chain rule, if x and y are functions of some third variable, t,
[tex]\frac{d\phi}{dt}= \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt}+ \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]
or, in differential notation,
[tex]d\phi= \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}dx+ \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y}dy[/tex]
 
HallsofIvy said:
Yex, that was a typo-

:smile:

Thanks I forgot that this was dealing with partials. It makes sense now.