Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Looking for the name of a class of ODE:

1. Aug 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]M(x,y)y^{'}(x) + N(x,y) = 0[/tex]
    There exists:
    [tex]\phi(x,y)[/tex]
    Such that
    [tex]\frac{\partial\phi(x,y)}{\partial x}=N(x,y)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial\phi(x,y)}{\partial y}=M(x,y)[/tex]

I'm not looking for a solution to anything particular to this but I can't find the type in my notes and I can't google it unless I know the name.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

That is an exact equation since
    [tex]d\phi= M(x,y)dy+ NIx,y)dx[/itex]
    is an exact differential.

Of course, since the differential equation says [itex]d\phi= 0[/itex], [itex]\phi(x,y)= 0[/itex] is the general solution.

4. Aug 16, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

By the way, in physics, such a differential would correspond to a "conservative force field" and the function [itex]\phi[/itex] would be the "potential function".

5. Aug 17, 2007 #4
    Thanks.
    Just a question: The I after the N is a typo yes? And how did you get [itex]d\phi= 0[/itex]?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  6. Aug 17, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Yex, that was a typo- my finger was aiming at "("!

Since [itex]\phi[/itex] is a function of both x and y, [itex]d\phi /dx[/itex] would make no sense. By the chain rule, if x and y are functions of some third variable, t,
    [tex]\frac{d\phi}{dt}= \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt}+ \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]
    or, in differential notation,
    [tex]d\phi= \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}dx+ \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y}dy[/tex]

7. Aug 17, 2007 #6
    :rofl:

Thanks I forgot that this was dealing with partials. It makes sense now.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook