Looking to downgrade my laptop

• Thread starter sandy.bridge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary, the laptop should have the following specs: -Intel i3 processor-4GB of RAM-Windows 7 or Windows 8.1-256GB Solid State Drive and 1TB External Hard Drive-No Dedicated Graphics Card
sandy.bridge
Hey all,

I am looking to downgrade my current laptop into something that has

• battery longevity;
  • sleekness;
  • back-lit keyboard;
  • and is rather quiet.

The laptop should be able to

• run Microsoft Office;
  • browse the internet with ease;
  • stream HD videos.

My current set-up is is with MSI, and can be found here. This computer was used as my primary, however, I have decided to revert back to utilizing a desktop for my primary and a laptop as my secondary. The main flaw that my current laptop has is the noise intensity due to the fans. Hence, I am willing to sacrifice power for something more quite. I would prefer recommendations that you have had actual experience with.

Thanks in advance!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I would recommend a notebook computer with the following specs:
CPU: Any Intel i3 processor
RAM: Minimum 4GB
Hard drive: 256GB Solid State(OS and Programs) + 1TB External USB Hard drive (data)
No Dedicated video card.

You probably want to get a 13". If that's too small, then look at at 15" system. 17" systems usually get fitted with higher end components which produce more heat which means you need more cooling and you have a louder computer.

If you need a brand to look at, try Lenovo or HP. Get at least a 2 year warranty unless you can get hardware issues resolved easily elsewhere.

Been really happy with the Toshiba Satellite laptop series (not the detachable screen one!). I was hesitant for windows 8 at first, but using win8 on a touchscreen is actually not that bad, and if you use a smart phone you pick up how the OS works immediately. It's still really fast and very quiet. I literally cannot hear it when its on. The vent is in the bottom center and back so when you put it on your lap the vents don't get blocked! And it generates almost no heat unless its actually on a thick blanket blocking the vent.

The biggest drawbacks are I have issues sometimes streaming HD through adobe flash player (due to a known flash/win8.1 glitch) (this is complaint above the OS, not the laptop), and there's no cd/dvd player on the machine. Frankly I don't even use CDs anymore anyway. But there are usb ones for like $30. If you have a local Best Buy, go try one out, I've had the 13" and then the 15.5".
http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/satellite/P50/P50-ABT3G22

Make sure to get some eyeglass cleaner wipes and keep the screen clean!

Last edited by a moderator:
Toshiba's and Dell's and Asus get a thumbs up from me. Avoid HP like the plague (driver problems).

I would first like to clarify that there is no such thing as "downgrading" a laptop. You can only switch to a different model or brand, which may have fewer or different features compared to your current laptop. With that being said, based on your requirements, I would recommend looking into ultrabooks or thin-and-light laptops. These types of laptops are known for their sleek design, long battery life, and quiet operation.

Some specific models that I would suggest considering are the Dell XPS 13, HP Envy 13, and Asus ZenBook series. These laptops all have backlit keyboards, long battery life, and are known for their quiet operation. They also have the capability to run Microsoft Office, browse the internet, and stream HD videos with ease.

I would also recommend looking into laptops with solid-state drives (SSDs) instead of traditional hard drives. SSDs are known for their faster performance, which can contribute to a smoother and quieter operation of the laptop.

In terms of personal experience, I have used the Dell XPS 13 and have found it to be a great balance of performance, battery life, and design. However, I suggest doing some research and reading reviews to find the best fit for your specific needs and budget.

In conclusion, when looking to switch to a new laptop, it is important to prioritize your needs and do thorough research before making a decision. I hope this helps in your search for a quieter and more efficient laptop.

1. Can I downgrade my laptop's operating system?

Yes, it is possible to downgrade your laptop's operating system, but it may not always be a straightforward process. It will depend on the specific model and manufacturer of your laptop, as well as the current and desired operating systems. It is recommended to research and follow instructions carefully or seek professional help to avoid any potential issues.

2. Will downgrading my laptop improve its performance?

It is not guaranteed that downgrading your laptop's operating system will improve its performance. In some cases, it may even result in slower performance due to compatibility issues with certain hardware or software. It is important to thoroughly research the potential impacts and weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.

3. Can I downgrade my laptop's hardware?

No, it is not possible to downgrade your laptop's hardware. Hardware upgrades or replacements are the only options for improving the performance of your laptop. However, it is important to note that not all laptops are designed to be easily upgraded, so it is best to check the specifications and limitations of your specific model before attempting any hardware changes.

4. Are there any risks involved in downgrading my laptop?

Yes, there are potential risks involved in downgrading your laptop, such as compatibility issues, data loss, and system instability. It is important to back up all important files and thoroughly research the process before proceeding. If you are not confident in your abilities, it is recommended to seek professional help.

5. Will downgrading my laptop void its warranty?

It depends on the specific terms and conditions of your laptop's warranty. In most cases, downgrading the operating system will not void the warranty, but any issues that arise from the downgrade may not be covered. It is best to consult the manufacturer or warranty provider for clarification before making any changes to your laptop's system.