1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz Transformation of Scalar Fields

1. Oct 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Working on an exercise from Srednicki's QFT and something is not clear.

Show that

[tex] [\varphi(x), M^{uv}] = \mathcal{L}^{uv} \varphi(x) [/tex]

[tex] \mathcal{L}^{uv} = \frac{\hbar}{i} (x^u \partial^v - x^v \partial^u )[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

(1) [tex] U(\Lambda)^{-1} \varphi(x) U(\Lambda) = \varphi(\Lambda^{-1}x) [/tex]

(2) [tex] \Lambda = 1 + \delta\omega[/tex]

where [tex] \delta\omega [/itex] is an infinitesimal, and

(3) [tex] U(\Lambda) = I + \frac{i}{2\hbar} \delta\omega_{uv} M^{uv} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Got the left side of (1) equal to

[tex] \varphi(x) + \frac{i}{2\hbar}\delta\omega_{uv}[\varphi(x), M^{uv}] [/tex]

but not sure what to do with the right side and how to get the desired derivatives. I suspect
    it has something to do with the transformation (1) of its derivative, but so far no luck.

[tex] U(\Lambda)^{-1} \partial^u \varphi(x) U(\Lambda) = \Lambda^{u}_{ p} \bar{\partial}^p \varphi(\Lambda^{-1}x) [/tex]
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2008 #2
    1) What does Eq. (2) give you for the inverse of \Lambda?

2) use that expression to Taylor expand the right-hand side of your Eq. (1): that should also give you \phi(x) plus something....
  4. Oct 24, 2008 #3
    Would it be

[tex]\Lambda^{-1} = 1 - \delta\omega [/tex]

and taking the second order [itex] O(\delta\omega^2) [/itex] to zero.

If I were to Taylor that then would get something like [itex] \varphi(0) + \varphi^{,}(0) [/itex]

but that doesn't seem right
  5. Oct 24, 2008 #4
    The first part is correct, the second isn't (but getting close): check your Taylor expansion: what's \phi(x+\epsilon)?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?