Love's equivalence principle for a perfect electric conductor

In summary, the author is explaining how the electric current density is short-circuited by the electric conductor on a surface of a perfect electric conductor. This is why the potential difference is null.
eliotsbowe
Hello, I'm having some issues with Love's equivalence principle.
I'm studying Balanis' "Antenna theory" (1997), here's a (legal) fragment of the section in question:

http://www.uniroma2.it/didattica/ap1/deposito/02_2-Balanis-Equivalence_Theorems.pdf

I'm trying to understand the following statement (page 331, figure 7-8 b):
"The electric current density Js, which is tangent to the surface S, is short-circuited by the electric conductor."

May someone explain the reason for Js to be considered short-circuited on the surface of the perfect electric conductor?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The tangential component tries to flow along the surface of the conductor so is 'short circuited' ie on a perfect conductor it generates no potential difference.

What points should I pick to compute that potential difference? I mean, one is on the surface S, but what's the second one? Besides, why is that potential difference null?
Thanks

OK don’t get blocked by this, don't fear it. It is just a technique to solve a generalised situation in EM field theory.

So what you are trying to do is to model the far field radiation of a complicated system of currents and EM fields by replacing them with a simpler system which gives the same radiation far from the source.

The integrals involved often can't be solved in closed form.

The raison d’etre of Love et al is to replace the system with a perfectly conducting surface and an EM field. Any electric fields along (tangential) to the surface vanish as they can't generate any current so can't radiate so their contribution is zero hence reducing the number of integrations. Any normal to the surface do contribute and must be calculated.

You start with the electric field and compute the current density and if you have chosen you surface well elements of the current density don't contribute.

I will also 'nail my colours to the mast' by saying I am a big fan of using equivalence methods in theoretical physics as they often reveal beautiful symmetries and give real insight but I am not a big fan of their use in areas such as antennae design because they assume things such as a perfect conductor (i.e. one which will kill any electric current on the surface) or worse a surface which will kill any magnetic field on the surface. Thus to transition to the real world (conductors with resistance etc.) takes as much work as solving the problem directly.

You may find chapters 5 & 6 of http://www.plasma.uu.se/CED/Book/EMFT_Book.pdf a better text

for the more practical approach, if that suits you, try the IEEE Antennas and Propagation Mag report reproduced at http://www.csun.edu/~hceen002/paper1.pdf

Hope this helps

Regards

Sam

That was helpful, thanks a lot!

1. What is Love's equivalence principle for a perfect electric conductor?

Love's equivalence principle for a perfect electric conductor states that the electric field inside a perfect conductor is zero. This means that in a perfect conductor, charges are distributed on its surface and do not penetrate inside the conductor.

2. Why is Love's equivalence principle important in science?

Love's equivalence principle is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields in conductors. It also allows us to make simplifications in complex electrical systems by assuming that the electric field inside a perfect conductor is zero.

3. How does Love's equivalence principle differ from Gauss's law?

Love's equivalence principle is based on the assumption that the electric field inside a perfect conductor is zero, while Gauss's law states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

4. Can Love's equivalence principle be applied to real conductors?

No, Love's equivalence principle is a theoretical concept that can only be applied to perfect conductors. Real conductors have some resistance and imperfections, which can affect the distribution of charges and the behavior of electric fields inside them.

5. How does Love's equivalence principle relate to the concept of electrostatic shielding?

Love's equivalence principle is the basis for the concept of electrostatic shielding. This principle allows us to design conductors to shield sensitive equipment or objects from external electric fields. By applying this principle, we can ensure that the electric field inside the conductor is zero, and therefore, any external electric field will not affect the objects inside the conductor.