1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Low GRE scores, options for delaying graduate school?

Tags:
  1. Nov 17, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

So, I didn't do so hot on either the GRE or the Physics GRE.
    I've always been rubbish at standardized tests, and these proved no exception either, even with studying.

I know I scored low on the GRE for math (for a physics major). It's not as if I don't know the material, but it's all material I haven't used in years.

I did practice tests the night before and scored very very high, but once I'm in the test, I never do well. Sigh.

The Physics GRE is just speculation because I haven't received my scores yet, but I also feel I did not do so well. I prepared, felt ready, got the test, and choked. Forgot formulas, did calculations wrong, changed answers I knew were probably right, etc.

So, with these low scores, I'm skeptical any of the graduate programs I am applying to besides my safety school will accept me.

But I really am not keen on going to my safety school. If I did go there, I would want to retake all these tests and try to transfer out after a year. But I'm not sure if that's frowned upon.

What are some options if I do delay graduate school by a year?

I definitely want to graduate and not become a super senior. I'm very done with my undergraduate institution.

I really love research (HEP) and want to continue in that. REUs are only for undergraduate students.
    Do universities offer something similar for people between undergrad and grad school?

Thank you for any advice

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2012 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why do you think that taking the tests again will make a difference? Also, one does not "transfer out" of grad school. You start over. Maybe you could skip retaking some classes, maybe not.

4. Nov 17, 2012 #3
    I'm not sure if it will make a difference. Honestly, I know the material. I don't understand why I've never done very well on tests like this.

I was thinking if I did 1 year of graduate studies at my safety choice, retook the physics GRE in October or November of 2013, and if I did score higher and wasn't satisfied at the safety school, then attempt to transfer to a different grad program.

Though I've been told you can transfer after your first year of graduate school, but not really after without restarting. Is this information false?

5. Nov 17, 2012 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Like I said, you don't really transfer. You start over.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook