1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Low pressures at high velocities

Tags:
  1. Feb 7, 2015 #1
    Why does pressure decrease as velocity increases, I think it is because pressure is defined as particles hitting the edge of the medium so when velocity increases the particles hit the edge of the medium less but how?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2015 #2
    It is called the Bernoulli's effect or principle and is to do with the conservation of energy. If speed increases then pressure has to decrease so the total energy remains the same.

4. Feb 7, 2015 #3
    This is an F = ma (Newton's Second Law) kind of thing. If the velocity is increasing, then the fluid is being accelerated. In order to accelerate the fluid, you need to apply a higher pressure (force per unit area) upstream than downstream.

Chet

5. Feb 7, 2015 #4
    ok thank you, I was thinking that but could not really visualize it, I guess sometimes you just have to trust equations even if they do not make sense.....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook