1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lowest frequency of a transformer

1. Jan 1, 2014 #1
    Hi , I've been wondering about this one thing.
    Well a transformer works on indcution , so a increase/decrease in voltage amplitude and/or periodical polarity reversal is needed to induce a current and voltage in the secondary.

Now if we leave the current reversal aside for a bit and look at the increase then highest point and then decrease of a waveform that " feeds" the transformer primary , I wonder what's the lowest frequency a transformer can still be able to work ?
    The bigger the wavelength the longer it takes for the voltage to reach and then drop drom a certain level in one half period, but since we can also say that AC is just DC if looked at from a " point in time" perspective then since the time it takes for a very low frequency half wave to change is pretty long does the transformer secondary can still sense that?

Or maybe I should ask , what is the lowest rate of change in voltage/current that a transformer can still work with ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2014 #2

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  4. Jan 1, 2014 #3
    there are no limits of size , this is a theoretical question , i'm theoretically interested.

So if i get it right from the article you gave me , a transformer could work on dc if only for one thing , after a given amount of time , or the time it took for a given material and size transformer core to reach saturation , so if the core won't saturate then the transformer could transfer usable power , but I guess it's just late nad I got something wrong because a static magnetic field can't induce current can it ..?

5. Jan 1, 2014 #4

nsaspook

Science Advisor

6. Jan 1, 2014 #5
    Theoretically, the minimal frequency of transformation is zero. Which is, of course, nonsensical in practice.

Practically, it is one the many parameters of a transformer that must be very carefully chosen for optimal performance. It is in the domain of electrical engineering, not theoretical physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook