Lowest frequency of a transformer

In summary, the conversation discusses the working principles and limitations of transformers, particularly in terms of frequency and size. The group wonders about the lowest frequency a transformer can still work with and the smallest size it can be used for. They also touch on the possibility of transformers working with DC and the concept of saturation in transformer cores. Ultimately, they conclude that while theoretically a transformer can work at any frequency, in practice it must be carefully engineered for optimal performance.
Crazymechanic
Hi , I've been wondering about this one thing.
Well a transformer works on indcution , so a increase/decrease in voltage amplitude and/or periodical polarity reversal is needed to induce a current and voltage in the secondary.

Now if we leave the current reversal aside for a bit and look at the increase then highest point and then decrease of a waveform that " feeds" the transformer primary , I wonder what's the lowest frequency a transformer can still be able to work ?
The bigger the wavelength the longer it takes for the voltage to reach and then drop drom a certain level in one half period, but since we can also say that AC is just DC if looked at from a " point in time" perspective then since the time it takes for a very low frequency half wave to change is pretty long does the transformer secondary can still sense that?

Or maybe I should ask , what is the lowest rate of change in voltage/current that a transformer can still work with ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Crazymechanic said:
Or maybe I should ask , what is the lowest rate of change in voltage/current that a transformer can still work with ?

What are the size limits of the transformer for the working frequency, house size, planet size or known universe size?
http://www.atltransformers.co.uk/pages/frequency.htm
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/transformer/transformer-basics.html

Last edited:
there are no limits of size , this is a theoretical question , I'm theoretically interested.

So if i get it right from the article you gave me , a transformer could work on dc if only for one thing , after a given amount of time , or the time it took for a given material and size transformer core to reach saturation , so if the core won't saturate then the transformer could transfer usable power , but I guess it's just late nad I got something wrong because a static magnetic field can't induce current can it ..?

Theoretically, the minimal frequency of transformation is zero. Which is, of course, nonsensical in practice.

Practically, it is one the many parameters of a transformer that must be very carefully chosen for optimal performance. It is in the domain of electrical engineering, not theoretical physics.

1. What is the lowest frequency that a transformer can operate at?

The lowest frequency that a transformer can operate at is determined by its design and construction. Most transformers are designed to operate at frequencies between 50 Hz and 60 Hz, which are the standard frequencies used in power grids. However, some transformers can operate at lower frequencies, down to a few Hz, depending on their construction and intended use.

2. What happens if a transformer operates at a lower frequency than its rated frequency?

If a transformer operates at a lower frequency than its rated frequency, its output voltage will decrease. This is because the transformer's output voltage is directly proportional to its input frequency. So, a lower input frequency will result in a lower output voltage. This can cause problems if the transformer is used in a system that requires a specific voltage level.

3. Can a transformer be designed to operate at extremely low frequencies?

Yes, transformers can be designed to operate at extremely low frequencies, even down to a few Hz or less. These transformers are typically used in specialized applications, such as in power systems that operate at very low frequencies or in scientific experiments that require precise control of frequency.

4. What factors affect the lowest frequency that a transformer can operate at?

The lowest frequency that a transformer can operate at is affected by several factors, including its core material, number of turns in the primary and secondary windings, and the amount of load connected to the transformer. In general, transformers with larger cores and more turns can operate at lower frequencies.

5. How can the lowest frequency of a transformer be determined?

The lowest frequency of a transformer can be determined by consulting its datasheet or by performing calculations based on its design and construction. Additionally, testing the transformer at different frequencies can also help determine its lowest frequency of operation.