LPF gives 2 different simulations

In summary, LPF stands for Low-Pass Filter and has two modes of operation: active and passive. It works by attenuating high-frequency signals and allowing low-frequency signals to pass through. The output of LPF can be affected by factors such as frequency, component types and values, and the mode of operation. To determine the simulation, one must consider these factors. LPF can be used for various applications, depending on the simulation produced, such as boosting low-frequency signals in audio or reducing high-frequency noise in power supplies.
deki
I've designed a 3rd order BPF. I tuned it in AWR Design Environment (Microwave Office), and got the response I wanted:
1.jpg

However using the same component values with LT Spice gives me a different response:
2.jpg

The other thing I've noted in the plot is the input voltage. I'm not that familiar with AC analysis in LT Spice, but why does the input voltage look like that? That's what is contributing to my uneven response.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm just guessing, but one program may include the source impedance in the AC source, and the other not.

1. What is LPF and why does it give 2 different simulations?

LPF stands for Low-Pass Filter, which is a type of electronic filter used to remove high-frequency components from a signal. It can give 2 different simulations because it has two different modes of operation: active and passive. In the active mode, the filter uses an amplifier to boost the input signal, while in the passive mode, it relies on passive components such as resistors and capacitors to filter the signal.

2. How does LPF work to produce these different simulations?

The LPF works by allowing low-frequency signals to pass through while attenuating high-frequency signals. In the active mode, the amplifier boosts the low-frequency signals, resulting in a stronger output signal. In the passive mode, the passive components create a voltage divider, which attenuates the high-frequency signals. This results in a weaker output signal compared to the active mode.

3. What factors can affect the output of LPF and cause the different simulations?

There are several factors that can affect the output of LPF and cause the different simulations. These include the frequency of the input signal, the type of components used in the filter, and the values of the components. Additionally, the mode of operation, active or passive, can also play a significant role in producing different simulations.

4. How can I tell which simulation I will get from LPF?

The simulation you will get from LPF depends on several factors, as mentioned above. To determine which simulation you will get, you can analyze the input signal's frequency and the components' values used in the filter. Additionally, knowing the mode of operation, active or passive, can also help you predict the simulation.

5. Can LPF be used for different applications based on its different simulations?

Yes, LPF can be used for different applications based on its different simulations. For example, the active mode is commonly used in audio applications to boost low-frequency signals, while the passive mode is suitable for reducing high-frequency noise in power supplies. The specific application will determine which simulation is more suitable for use.