Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A LSZ formula and Field Strength renormalization factor

1. Feb 27, 2017 #1
    Hi all,
    I have doubts on the role of the Field Strength renormalization ##Z_\psi=1+\delta_\psi## when computing amplitudes. I never did this, maybe because it was not needed before, but i noticed that in the solution of a specific problem, to obtain the correct result, you need to multiply the sum of the amplitudes by ##\sqrt{Z_\psi}## for every external leg. So it seems that the correct formula, for a 2 to 2 scattering for example, is:
    $$Z_\psi^2(A_1+A_2+ ... + A_n)$$
    where ##A_i## are all the possible connected and amputed diagrams and they also include all the countertems diagrams, is that right?

So to be clear, if i have to compute scattering amplitude in QED for ##e^- \mu^- \to e^- \mu^- ## i sum the tree level diagram with the fermions exchanging a photon, the diagrams with the loop in the vertex, the diagram with the loop in the photon, the diagram with the counterterm for the vertex and the diagram with the counterterm for the photon self-energy. Then i multiply everything for ##Z_\psi^2##.

Is that right?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2017 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, that's right. Have a look at Bjorken, Drell Vol. 2, where this is discussed with some more care than in many modern textbooks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted