LT Spice response of 6-resonator filter

In summary, the circuit is giving me the wrong response at each resonator. The resonator responses should have a time delay, but they're all starting around 0 seconds...when I'm expecting a proper time delay between each one, so there should be a horizontal shift if that makes sense. I think it's to do with an LT Spice setting, or something in the options?
deki
The following circuit is giving me the following response at each resonator, however it's not the correct response. There's supposed to be a time delay for each resonator response, however they're all more or less starting around 0 seconds...when I'm expecting a proper time delay between each one, so there should be a horizontal shift if that makes sense. I think it's to do with an LT Spice setting, or something in the options? Right now that's just the transient response, with a sine wave input, at 730MHz.
1.jpg

2.jpg

Attachments

• filter_testAPositive.asc.txt
    5.8 KB · Views: 416
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you please attach your .asc file to a post.
Then we can easily simulate and probe your circuit without typos.
Since it is ascii text file you might call it filename.asc.txt

Thanks. I've included the .asc file in my original post.

Likes Baluncore
It seems to work OK but;
1. Your use of 2e12 resistors is questionable. 1e6 is a challenge in our environment.
2. You have no series R in L or C. I would insert Rs = 0.1m into each L or C to reduce Q.
3. You are driving 50 amp into 50 ohms. That is 2.5kV. I reduced it to 50 milliamp.

1. All points will start at time 0. just ramp differently.

2. Did you include the proper source impedance in your source generator. Should your generator be in series with the 50 ohms.

Thanks for the suggestions.
meBigGuy: yes I do have a source impedance.
Baluncore: if I make those changes, would they solve my time delay issue? I'll try them later.

meBigGuy said:
2. Did you include the proper source impedance in your source generator. Should your generator be in series with the 50 ohms.
Source is a current into the 50 ohm so it is 50 ohm input.
The problem then is analysis of DC operating point with inductors in series.

I see, your source is a current generator. It was chopped off in the diagram.

I don't understand your transient response. Where is the DC level coming from? You have a DC step in your source?

Do an AC response and look at the phase. Isn't that what really matters? Or am I completely out of whack?

I'm seeing significant delay. The whole circuit will start responding at 0. What would stop it?

The rise time of the resonators is the reciprocal of their bandwidth.
Without series R in the LC it will have very high Q = impossible, = zero bandwidth, = infinite risetime.
Only the external circuit is taming it.

Attached is a more real version of the model. Restricted to 5 digits and with series R for all inductors.

filter1.png

Attachments

• filter_1.asc.txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 455
Thanks for your input Baluncore. Do you have any further suggestions on how I could get the time delay I'm expecting between the different resonators? I've altered the circuit a bit here and there, including the series resistors you mentioned, but it only changes the response...no delay. I think it might be an LT Spice option but I'm not sure.

deki said:
Do you have any further suggestions on how I could get the time delay I'm expecting between the different resonators?
I do not know your expectations.
The resonators have different resonant frequencies and unspecified Q, so you must expect a slight phase shift between elements determined by frequency of analysis and centre frequency of resonators. But the L and C coupling across the top of the circuit will feed some signal forward and reduce phase shifts.
The attached file.asc has the centre frequencies of the resonators if isolated.
Where is the design from. What Qs were specified for the resonators?

Attachments

• filter_1.asc.txt
    4.8 KB · Views: 401
That's okay, I think I'll just leave it now. My friend and I made the circuit for an assignment, designing a BPF, with simulated component values...I'll see what he has come up with.

1. What is "LT Spice response of 6-resonator filter"?

"LT Spice response of 6-resonator filter" refers to the analysis and simulation of the frequency response of a filter circuit using LT Spice, a software tool commonly used for circuit design and simulation. The filter in question has six resonators, which are electronic components that can amplify or attenuate specific frequencies in a circuit.

2. How does LT Spice simulate the response of a 6-resonator filter?

LT Spice uses mathematical models and algorithms to simulate the behavior of electronic components and circuits. For a 6-resonator filter, LT Spice calculates the frequency response by considering the individual characteristics of each resonator and how they interact with each other in the circuit.

3. What factors affect the response of a 6-resonator filter in LT Spice?

The response of a 6-resonator filter in LT Spice can be affected by various factors such as the values of the resonators, the type and order of the filter, the input signal frequency, and the circuit layout. Additionally, external factors like parasitic components and noise can also impact the response.

4. How can I use LT Spice to optimize the response of a 6-resonator filter?

To optimize the response of a 6-resonator filter in LT Spice, you can adjust the values of the resonators, change the type of filter, and fine-tune the circuit layout. You can also use LT Spice's built-in optimization tools to find the best combination of component values for the desired filter response.

5. Are the results from LT Spice simulations of 6-resonator filters accurate?

In general, the results from LT Spice simulations of 6-resonator filters are considered accurate. However, it is important to keep in mind that LT Spice is a simulation tool and may not perfectly reflect the real-world behavior of a circuit. It is always recommended to verify the results with physical measurements or by building and testing the circuit.