Mac or PC for nuclear engineering?

In summary: I think that in the nuclear engineering field, you would be hard pressed to find a windows only machine.
xholicwriter
Should I go with a PC for nuclear engineering?

xholic

Engineering news on Phys.org
There's no one answer. Go to one place and you'll see everyone using PCs. Go to another in the exact same discipline and it will be linux boxes. Yet another will be filled with Mac fanatics.

The best thing to do is to ask your prospective school what they recommend. You want the platform that is best suited to the tools they will expect you to be using. That's all that matters for now because you won't be using that computer once you graduate. Your machine will be out of date by then and that's when it will be time to go shopping again.

Most people I know use PCs with either windows or linux (or both). Nuclear engineering uses a lot of custom/homebrewed/old software that isn't available on windows (or doesn't support the full feature set).

If you are a student just starting out I would recommend you check with your school and get what ever the majority of other students are going to be using. As a student there is safety in numbers.

On a more personal note, I would never pay the Mac premium. It isn't that I dislike their products, I dislike the company.

Hologram0110 said:
Nuclear engineering uses a lot of custom/homebrewed/old software that isn't available on windows (or doesn't support the full feature set).
the software isn't available on windows? what is it available on?

Thank you,

Linux. Lots of scientific software is linux only. This is mostly programs that were written for a specific purpose by a company or organization many years ago and have just been updated as necessary. In many cases there are windows ports but these frequently have reduced feature sets and/or require potentially annoying work arounds.

Personally, I use windows 99.99% of the time. My office has a shared linux box for using linux only software. I have colleagues which use super computers which are usually linux based.

1. Which operating system, Mac or PC, is more commonly used in nuclear engineering?

In general, both Mac and PC are used in nuclear engineering, but PC is more commonly used due to its compatibility with specialized software and programs used in the field.

2. Is there a significant difference in performance between Mac and PC for nuclear engineering tasks?

Both Mac and PC have powerful hardware that can handle complex nuclear engineering tasks. However, PC may have an advantage due to its wider range of customizable options and better compatibility with certain software.

3. Are there any specific features or programs that are only available on one of the operating systems?

There are some programs that are only available on either Mac or PC, but for the most part, the same software can be used on both operating systems in nuclear engineering.

4. Are there any security concerns when using Mac or PC for nuclear engineering?

Both Mac and PC have their own security measures, and it ultimately depends on the user's habits and practices. However, Mac is generally considered to have stronger built-in security measures compared to PC.

5. Which operating system would you recommend for someone pursuing a career in nuclear engineering?

It ultimately depends on personal preference and familiarity with the operating system. If you are already familiar with one, it may be more beneficial to stick with that one. However, if you are starting fresh, PC may be a more practical choice due to its wider usage and compatibility.