MacLaurin Polynomial for sin(x)

In summary, the formula for the Maclaurin Polynomial of sin(x) can be found on the provided page, with the Maclaurin Polynomial of degree 4 being equal to 0 + x + 0x^2 - 1/6 x^3 + 0 x^4. It can be used to estimate sin(0.5) with an approximation of 0.479, but the correct answer is 0.432. The third Taylor polynomial would only require going up to the second derivative.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

The formula for the Maclaurin Polynomial of sin(x) can be found on this page: http://www.tvalx.com/MathArticles/ExploringTaylorPolynomials/ExploringTaylorPolynomials.htm

(close to the top).

Find the Mauclaurin Polynomial of degree 4. Use it to estimate sin(0.5).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried evaluating the formula for n=0, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

0 --> x
1 --> (-1/6)x^3
2 ---> (1/120)x^5
3 ---> (-1.98E-4)x^7
4 ---> (2.76E-6)x^9

Now I'll plug in x = 0.5 for each one, and add them all up. When I do that, I get 0.479. Which seems to be right, because when I actually evaluate sin(0.5) I get the same thing.

Am I doing something wrong? The answer key gives a different answer =/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How much different?

I don't seen anything obviously wrong, but you have rounded off some of your fractions to only 3 significant digits, and that will affect your approximation. Keep all of your fractions intact (don't round them), and keep all of the precision your calculator will give you.

I did keep all the precision my calculator gave me, but still got the wrong answer.

The answer on the key is 0.432.

You have too many terms (so your answer is closer than what is asked for). The problem asks for the Maclaurin polynomial of degree 4, and yours goes up to degree 9. Take your first two terms and call it good.

The Maclaurin series approximation of degree 4 is sin(x) [itex]\approx[/itex] 0 + x + 0x^2 - 1/6 x^3 + 0 x^4.

Hmm, I'm a bit confused now. Is the following right:

What if the question asks for the third taylor polynomial of some function? In that case you would take the first, second, and third derivatives, right?

But if it asks for a polynomial of degree y, then you go up to x^y?

Looking at Taylor polynomials as a sequence of polynomials of increasing degree, the third Taylor polynomial would be the one whose highest degree term is x^2, so you'd only need to go up to the second derivative.
f0(x) = f(a)
f1(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x - a)
f2(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x - a) + 1/2! * f''(a)*(x - a)^2

It's only tricky because there is a mismatch between the indexes, which start from zero, and their order, which we usual start with 1 (for first).

For your second question, yes.

1. What is the MacLaurin Polynomial for sin(x)?

The MacLaurin Polynomial for sin(x) is a mathematical series that approximates the value of the sine function at a specific point (x) using a finite number of terms. It is named after Scottish mathematician Colin Maclaurin and is a special case of the Taylor series.

2. How is the MacLaurin Polynomial for sin(x) calculated?

The MacLaurin Polynomial for sin(x) is calculated using the formula:
sin(x) = x - (x^3)/3! + (x^5)/5! - (x^7)/7! + ... + (-1)^n (x^(2n+1))/(2n+1)!
This means that each term in the series is determined by raising x to an odd power, alternating between positive and negative signs, and dividing by the factorial of the power.

3. Why is the MacLaurin Polynomial for sin(x) useful?

The MacLaurin Polynomial for sin(x) is useful because it allows us to approximate the value of the sine function at any point without having to use a calculator or trigonometric tables. This is especially helpful in calculus and other fields of mathematics where precise values are needed.

4. How does the accuracy of the MacLaurin Polynomial for sin(x) change with more terms?

The accuracy of the MacLaurin Polynomial for sin(x) increases as more terms are added, meaning that the value calculated using the polynomial will be closer to the exact value of sin(x). However, adding too many terms can also lead to computational errors and loss of precision.

5. Can the MacLaurin Polynomial for sin(x) be used for other trigonometric functions?

Yes, the MacLaurin Polynomial can be used for other trigonometric functions such as cosine, tangent, and their inverse functions. The formula for calculating these polynomials is similar to that of sin(x), but with different powers and signs for each term.