Maclaurin Series for Natural Log Function

In summary, to approximate 1/sqrt(e) to four decimal places using the MacLaurin series for e^x, we can use the partial sum of the series with n=2. This gives us an estimate of 0.6065, which is close to the actual value of 0.6065. However, the actual number should be used instead of 1/sqrt(e) in the calculation.
Justabeginner

Homework Statement

Use x=-1/2 in the MacLaurin series for e^x to approximate 1/sqrt(e) to four decimal places.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n!} = 1 + x + x^2/2 + x^3/6 + ... [/itex]

For this particular power series, I have:

[itex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(x+0.5)^n}{sqrt(e)(n!)} = 1/sqrt(e) + (x+0.5)/(sqrt(e)) + (x+0.5)^2/sqrt(e) + (x+0.5)^3/6*sqrt(e)... [/itex]

(-1/2)^(n+1)/(n+1)! <= 0.00004
n= 2

(1/sqrt(e) + (x+0.5)/sqrt(e) + (x+0.5)^(2)/2*sqrt(e)) = (1/sqrt(e) + 0 + 0)= 1/sqrt(e)= 0.6065

But this doesn't seem right because I should end up with the actual number instead of the 1/sqrt(e) itself. I thought I was doing the method correctly, but I guess not. I would appreciate any insight on this at all, as I don't know of any other method to apply here. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know why you did that. From
$$e^x \sim \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{x^k}{k!}$$
you should simply have
$$e^{-1/2} \sim \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{(-1/2)^k}{k!}$$.
A partial sum will be a good estimate if enough terms are used. Do you know how to determine how many terms are needed?

I think that I have to set it to be less than or equal to 0.00004 as I did above? So n=2?

1. What is a Maclaurin series for the natural log function?

A Maclaurin series, also known as a Taylor series, is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms. The Maclaurin series for the natural log function is:

ln(x) = (x-1) - (x-1)^2/2 + (x-1)^3/3 - (x-1)^4/4 + ...

2. What is the domain and interval of convergence for the Maclaurin series of ln(x)?

The domain of the Maclaurin series for ln(x) is x > 0, as the natural log function is only defined for positive values. The interval of convergence for the series is (-1, 1], meaning it will converge for all values of x within this interval.

3. How accurate is the Maclaurin series for ln(x)?

The accuracy of the Maclaurin series for ln(x) depends on the value of x. The series will converge faster and be more accurate for values of x closer to 0. For larger values of x, the series may require a larger number of terms to achieve a similar level of accuracy.

4. How can the Maclaurin series for ln(x) be used to approximate ln(x) at values outside of its interval of convergence?

The Maclaurin series for ln(x) can be used to approximate ln(x) at values outside of its interval of convergence by using a technique called analytic continuation. This involves extending the series beyond its interval of convergence by performing mathematical operations on the series, such as integration or differentiation.

5. Are there any other applications of the Maclaurin series for ln(x) besides approximating ln(x)?

Yes, the Maclaurin series for ln(x) has many applications in mathematics and physics. It can be used to approximate other logarithmic functions, such as log base 2 or log base 10. It is also used in the study of differential equations and in the analysis of complex systems.