1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maclaurin Series for Natural Log Function

1. Aug 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use x=-1/2 in the MacLaurin series for e^x to approximate 1/sqrt(e) to four decimal places.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [itex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n!} = 1 + x + x^2/2 + x^3/6 + ... [/itex]

For this particular power series, I have:

[itex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(x+0.5)^n}{sqrt(e)(n!)} = 1/sqrt(e) + (x+0.5)/(sqrt(e)) + (x+0.5)^2/sqrt(e) + (x+0.5)^3/6*sqrt(e)... [/itex]

(-1/2)^(n+1)/(n+1)! <= 0.00004
    n= 2

(1/sqrt(e) + (x+0.5)/sqrt(e) + (x+0.5)^(2)/2*sqrt(e)) = (1/sqrt(e) + 0 + 0)= 1/sqrt(e)= 0.6065

But this doesn't seem right because I should end up with the actual number instead of the 1/sqrt(e) itself. I thought I was doing the method correctly, but I guess not. I would appreciate any insight on this at all, as I don't know of any other method to apply here. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2013 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

I don't know why you did that. From
    $$e^x \sim \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{x^k}{k!}$$
    you should simply have
    $$e^{-1/2} \sim \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{(-1/2)^k}{k!}$$.
    A partial sum will be a good estimate if enough terms are used. Do you know how to determine how many terms are needed?

4. Aug 4, 2013 #3
    I think that I have to set it to be less than or equal to 0.00004 as I did above? So n=2?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted