Can you expand and find the radius of convergence for this Maclaurin series?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to expand the expression $\frac{2-z}{(1-z)^2}$ into a Maclaurin series and find its radius of convergence. It suggests using the geometric series formula and the identity $\frac{d}{dz} \frac{1}{1-z} = \frac{1}{(1-z)^2}$ to obtain the series. It also mentions that the radius of convergence for a series obtained through differentiation or integration is the same as the original series, but there may be different convergence behaviour at the endpoints.
aruwin
Hello.
I am stuck on this question. I'd appreciate if anyone could help me on how to do this.

The question:
Expand the following into maclaurin series and find its radius of convergence.

$\frac{2-z}{(1-z)^2}$

I know that we can use geometric series as geometric series is generally
$$\frac{1}{1-z}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}z^n$$

but I don't know how to use it for this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
aruwin said:
Hello.
I am stuck on this question. I'd appreciate if anyone could help me on how to do this.

The question:

$\frac{2-z}{(1-z)^2}$

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{2 - z}{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } &= \frac{1 + 1 - z }{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } \\ &= \frac{1}{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } + \frac{1 - z}{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } \\ &= \frac{1}{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } + \frac{1}{1 - z} \end{align*}$

The second term is easy to write as a geometric series. For the first term, use the fact that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}z } \left( \frac{1}{ 1 - z } \right) = \frac{1}{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } \end{align*}$, so when you write $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{1 - z } \end{align*}$ as a geometric series, when you differentiate it you'll have a series for $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } \end{align*}$...

Last edited:
aruwin said:
Hello.

The question:

$\frac{2-z}{(1-z)^2}$

An idea can be to use the identity $\displaystyle \frac{2 - z}{(1 - z)^{2}} = \frac{1}{1-z} + \frac{1}{(1-z)^{2}}$ and the fact that is $\displaystyle \frac{d}{d z} \frac{1}{1-z} = \frac{1}{(1-z)^{2}}$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Prove It said:
$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{2 - z}{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } &= \frac{1 + 1 - z }{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } \\ &= \frac{1}{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } + \frac{1 - z}{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } \\ &= \frac{1}{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } + \frac{1}{1 - z} \end{align*}$

The second term is easy to write as a geometric series. For the first term, use the fact that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x } \left( \frac{1}{ 1 - z } \right) = \frac{1}{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } \end{align*}$, so when you write $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{1 - z } \end{align*}$ as a geometric series, when you differentiate it you'll have a series for $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{ \left( 1 - z \right) ^2 } \end{align*}$...

Then what about the radius of convergence? Since the series are all going to be $\frac{1}{(1-z)^n}$, I assume the answer is R=1?

Sorry, I misunderstood before. Let me try and write out the maclaurin series first and then the radius.

aruwin said:
Then what about the radius of convergence? Since the series are all going to be $\frac{1}{(1-z)^n}$, I assume the answer is R=1?

Yes, any series that is obtained through differentiation or integration has the same radius of convergence as the series it came from.

The only place it might be different is at the endpoints. For example, $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{1 - z} = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}{ z^n } \end{align*}$ is convergent for $\displaystyle \begin{align*} |z| < 1 \end{align*}$ and divergent for $\displaystyle \begin{align*} |z| \geq 1 \end{align*}$, while if we integrate it we have

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{1 - z} &= \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}{z^n} \\ \int{ \frac{1}{1 - z}\,\mathrm{d}z } &= \int{ \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}{z^n}\,\mathrm{d}z } \\ -\ln{ \left( 1 - z \right) } &= \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} {\frac{z^{n+1}}{n+1}} \\ \ln{ \left( 1 - z \right) } &= -\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}{ \frac{z^{n+1}}{n+1} } \end{align*}$

which is convergent where $\displaystyle \begin{align*} -1 \leq z < 1 \end{align*}$. Don't believe me? When $\displaystyle \begin{align*} z = -1 \end{align*}$ we have $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \ln{ \left( 2 \right) } = \ln{ \left[ 1 - \left( -1 \right) \right] } &= -\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}{\frac{\left( -1 \right)^{n + 1}}{n + 1}} \end{align*}$, which is an alternating series, and since $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} \left( \frac{1}{x + 1} \right) = -\frac{1}{\left( x + 1 \right) ^2} \end{align*}$, that means the non-alternating part $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{n + 1} \end{align*}$ is decreasing, and thus is convergent by the Alternating Series Test.So to answer your previous question - in general any series obtained from differentiating or integrating has the same RADIUS of convergence, but may have different convergence behaviour at the ENDPOINTS of that radius.

Prove It said:
Yes, any series that is obtained through differentiation or integration has the same radius of convergence as the series it came from.

The only place it might be different is at the endpoints. For example, $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{1 - z} = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}{ z^n } \end{align*}$ is convergent for $\displaystyle \begin{align*} |z| < 1 \end{align*}$ and divergent for $\displaystyle \begin{align*} |z| \geq 1 \end{align*}$, while if we integrate it we have

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{1 - z} &= \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}{z^n} \\ \int{ \frac{1}{1 - z}\,\mathrm{d}z } &= \int{ \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}{z^n}\,\mathrm{d}z } \\ -\ln{ \left( 1 - z \right) } &= \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} {\frac{z^{n+1}}{n+1}} \\ \ln{ \left( 1 - z \right) } &= -\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}{ \frac{z^{n+1}}{n+1} } \end{align*}$

which is convergent where $\displaystyle \begin{align*} -1 \leq z < 1 \end{align*}$. Don't believe me? When $\displaystyle \begin{align*} z = -1 \end{align*}$ we have $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \ln{ \left( 2 \right) } = \ln{ \left[ 1 - \left( -1 \right) \right] } &= -\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}{\frac{\left( -1 \right)^{n + 1}}{n + 1}} \end{align*}$, which is an alternating series, and since $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} \left( \frac{1}{x + 1} \right) = -\frac{1}{\left( x + 1 \right) ^2} \end{align*}$, that means the non-alternating part $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{n + 1} \end{align*}$ is decreasing, and thus is convergent by the Alternating Series Test.So to answer your previous question - in general any series obtained from differentiating or integrating has the same RADIUS of convergence, but may have different convergence behaviour at the ENDPOINTS of that radius.

Thanks for the explanation.

Now to get the final answer of the maclaurin series expansion, it should start off like this, right?
$$\frac{2-z}{(1-z)^2}= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}nz^{n-1}+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}z^n$$

How do I finish this? The answer I was given is :

$$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(n+2)z^n$$

or is it enough to just leave the answer as $$\frac{2-z}{(1-z)^2}= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}nz^{n-1}+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}z^n$$ ?

Last edited:
aruwin said:
Thanks for the explanation.

Now to get the final answer of the maclaurin series expansion, it should start off like this, right?
$$\frac{2-z}{(1-z)^2}= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}nz^{n-1}+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}z^n$$

How do I finish this? The answer I was given is :

$$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(n+2)z^n$$

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}{n\,z^{n-1}} + \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}{z^n} &= 0 + 1 + 2z + 3z^2 + 4z^3 + \dots + 1 + z + z^2 + z^3 + \dots \\ &= 2 + 3z + 4z^2 + 5z^3 + \dots \\ &= \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}{ \left[ \left( n + 2 \right) \, z^n \right] } \end{align*}$

Prove It said:
$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}{n\,z^{n-1}} + \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}{z^n} &= 0 + 1 + 2z + 3z^2 + 4z^3 + \dots + 1 + z + z^2 + z^3 + \dots \\ &= 2 + 3z + 4z^2 + 5z^3 + \dots \\ &= \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}{ \left[ \left( n + 2 \right) \, z^n \right] } \end{align*}$

Thanks!

1. What is a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a type of Taylor series that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a polynomial of increasing degree. The series is centered at x = 0 and is named after Scottish mathematician Colin Maclaurin.

2. How is a Maclaurin series calculated?

A Maclaurin series can be calculated using the formula:
f(x) = f(0) + f'(0)x + (f''(0)x^2)/2! + (f'''(0)x^3)/3! + ...
This formula can be simplified using the general formula for the n-th derivative of a function evaluated at x = 0, which is given by:
f(n)(0) = limx→0 f(n)(x)/n!
Therefore, the Maclaurin series can be written as:
f(x) = ∑n=0 f(n)(0)x^n / n!

3. What is the purpose of a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is useful for approximating a function, especially when the function is difficult to evaluate directly. It can also be used to find the value of a function at a point, given its values and derivatives at x = 0. Additionally, Maclaurin series allow for easier computation of integrals and derivatives of functions.

4. How accurate is a Maclaurin series?

The accuracy of a Maclaurin series depends on the function it is approximating and the number of terms used in the series. In general, the more terms included, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, for some functions, the series may not converge for all values of x, so the accuracy may be limited.

5. How is a Maclaurin series used in real-world applications?

Maclaurin series are used in many areas of science and engineering, particularly in physics and mathematics. They are used to approximate the behavior of physical systems, such as in the study of waves and oscillations. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to create smooth curves and surfaces. In addition, Maclaurin series are used in numerical analysis and optimization methods to solve complex problems.