Magnet & Coil: Causes of Pistons Stroke

In summary, the magnet attracts the piston and causes it to move back and forth. There is a circuit that supplies periodic signals to the coil, causing it to attract the piston.
  • #1
rama1001
132
1
I have a situation that a magnet is placed near to a coil. Especially in pumps and the pump is working based on the stroke mechanisam. The coil is powerd up by a DC source of 12volts and the piston(which having magnet on it) is attracted by this coil called as stroke. The distance between the coil and piston is 1Cm. Is that basic stroke is really coming from or due to coil? I am not uinderstood theoritically.

If the coil is really attracts the piston, why then always stoke exist i.e. push and pulling back again. It has to attract by coil always. what is the cause for pushing back?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
  • #2
rama1001 said:
I have a situation that a magnet is placed near to a coil. Especially in pumps and the pump is working based on the stroke mechanisam. The coil is powerd up by a DC source of 12volts and the piston(which having magnet on it) is attracted by this coil called as stroke. The distance between the coil and piston is 1Cm. Is that basic stroke is really coming from or due to coil? I am not uinderstood theoritically.

If the coil is really attracts the piston, why then always stoke exist i.e. push and pulling back again. It has to attract by coil always. what is the cause for pushing back?

Usually that piston is connected to a spring, which returns it back. DC-on pulls, DC-off spring pulls back etc.
 
  • #3
Yes, you are almost right. I forgot about that and lead me to ask that silly question. But a static power is supplied to the coil which has to attract constantly and stict together always.

As you said about spring that puls back the magnet in my case it is a rubber strip that pulls back the magnet. I wonder now, i ahve a constant supply and then how it is pull back the magnet.
 
  • #4
rama1001 said:
Yes, you are almost right. I forgot about that and lead me to ask that silly question. But a static power is supplied to the coil which has to attract constantly and stict together always.

As you said about spring that puls back the magnet in my case it is a rubber strip that pulls back the magnet. I wonder now, i ahve a constant supply and then how it is pull back the magnet.

I don't think its a constant supply to the coil. Double check that. There must be a circuit somewhere, that sends periodic signals to coil. So it goes on-off-on-off.
 
  • #5
OHH!
yes, they too have a power elecronics circuit in it. By the way,how you people understand it without real situation. I am not able to understand this.

Any furthure points will help me.
 
  • #6
rama1001 said:
OHH!
yes, they too have a power elecronics circuit in it. By the way,how you people understand it without real situation. I am not able to understand this.

Any furthure points will help me.

What kind of help do you need?

With that circuit? That circuit can be realized in so many ways. My statement above was a pure guess, but in principle it SHOULD work like that.

Maybe if you give us the model, and the circuit schematics maybe we can assist you further?
 

Related to Magnet & Coil: Causes of Pistons Stroke

1. What is a magnet and coil?

A magnet is a material or object that produces a magnetic field, while a coil is a series of loops or turns of wire. When electricity flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field.

2. How do magnets and coils cause piston stroke?

When a current passes through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the magnetic field of the magnet. This interaction causes a force that can move the piston, resulting in piston stroke.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the size and shape of the magnet, the distance between the magnet and coil, and the amount of current flowing through the coil.

4. Can the direction of the piston stroke be controlled with magnets and coils?

Yes, the direction of the piston stroke can be controlled by changing the direction of the current flowing through the coil. This changes the direction of the magnetic field and thus the direction of the force acting on the piston.

5. Are there any real-world applications of magnets and coils causing piston stroke?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of this phenomenon, such as in car engines where the movement of pistons is used to power the engine. It is also used in various other machines and devices, including generators, loudspeakers, and electric motors.

Similar threads

Replies
1
Views
3K
  • Electromagnetism
Replies
6
Views
1K
  • Electrical Engineering
Replies
2
Views
1K
Replies
4
Views
5K
  • Electromagnetism
Replies
7
Views
3K
  • Electromagnetism
Replies
5
Views
2K
Replies
14
Views
3K
  • Electromagnetism
Replies
6
Views
2K
Replies
13
Views
4K
Back
Top