Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnet/Electricity to rotate object 90 degrees?

1. Jan 21, 2015 #1
    Hello, I want to create a motion using electricity, using the cheapest means possible (DIY). Basically I'm trying to rotate an object 90degrees when the current is on, and back to its original position when the current is off.

The questions are:

1) Is this possible?

2) Can this be done using 5V?

3) What is the easiest way to achieve this, through magnets? through a bimetallic strip?
    (i'm more interested perhaps in the magnet option, maybe looping a wire around a metal small bar and connecting a current through it that can be controlled by an on/off switch, and in this way enlarge the magnetic effect, but i'm not sure exactly if this works and how strong it is).

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

1. yes
    2. yes (depending on object)
    3. take a look at a moving-coil style meter.

In your discussion you have described the construction of an electromagnet - that is how they are normally made, and they do work. The effect can be arbitrarily strong and you can find how-to's online.

4. Jan 22, 2015 #3
    Thank you, I will check that out :D

5. Jan 23, 2015 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

What type of object do you want to rotate?
    A magnetic compass needle would be easy to rotate away from North with a small coil of wire.

6. Jan 23, 2015 #5
    I'm trying to rotate an object in a circular motion, but I need just 90deg turn. What this object will move in turn is another object which is basically a long strip. So I want the strip to move from let's say N-S to E-W position, by being attached vertically to something above it which moves 90 deg through magnetic motion.

Does it help you to advise me of something?

Thanks.

7. Jan 23, 2015 #6

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Yes, rotate a short magnet in the magnetic field of a coil. The principle is the same as a moving coil galvanometer, but your magnet moves in a fixed coil, so you do not need hair springs to connect to the coil.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanometer#Tangent_galvanometer

8. Jan 24, 2015 #7
    Google DIY electro magnet ( Battery, wire and a nail) -- a magnetic compass is handy in with these because it is sensitive and help you "play" with it ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook