Magnet/Electricity to rotate object 90 degrees?

In summary, the individual is interested in creating a motion using electricity in the cheapest way possible. They want to rotate an object 90 degrees when the current is on and back to its original position when the current is off. They have asked if this is possible, if it can be done using 5V, and the easiest way to achieve this. They are also interested in using magnets and have described a potential method involving a wire and a metal bar. The responder suggests using a moving-coil style meter and recommends researching online for tutorials. Additionally, they suggest using a short magnet in the magnetic field of a coil and reference a moving coil galvanometer as an example. They also mention using a magnetic compass to assist with experimentation.
Yafimski
Hello, I want to create a motion using electricity, using the cheapest means possible (DIY). Basically I'm trying to rotate an object 90degrees when the current is on, and back to its original position when the current is off.

The questions are:

1) Is this possible?

2) Can this be done using 5V?

3) What is the easiest way to achieve this, through magnets? through a bimetallic strip?
(i'm more interested perhaps in the magnet option, maybe looping a wire around a metal small bar and connecting a current through it that can be controlled by an on/off switch, and in this way enlarge the magnetic effect, but I'm not sure exactly if this works and how strong it is).

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
1. yes
2. yes (depending on object)
3. take a look at a moving-coil style meter.

In your discussion you have described the construction of an electromagnet - that is how they are normally made, and they do work. The effect can be arbitrarily strong and you can find how-to's online.

Likes Yafimski
Thank you, I will check that out :D

What type of object do you want to rotate?
A magnetic compass needle would be easy to rotate away from North with a small coil of wire.

I'm trying to rotate an object in a circular motion, but I need just 90deg turn. What this object will move in turn is another object which is basically a long strip. So I want the strip to move from let's say N-S to E-W position, by being attached vertically to something above it which moves 90 deg through magnetic motion.

Does it help you to advise me of something?

Thanks.

Yafimski said:
Does it help you to advise me of something?
Yes, rotate a short magnet in the magnetic field of a coil. The principle is the same as a moving coil galvanometer, but your magnet moves in a fixed coil, so you do not need hair springs to connect to the coil.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanometer#Tangent_galvanometer

Google DIY electro magnet ( Battery, wire and a nail) -- a magnetic compass is handy in with these because it is sensitive and help you "play" with it ...

1. How does a magnet or electricity rotate an object 90 degrees?

A magnet or electricity can rotate an object 90 degrees by creating a magnetic field that interacts with the object's magnetic properties or by using the force of electricity to power a motor that can rotate the object.

2. Can any object be rotated 90 degrees using a magnet or electricity?

Yes, as long as the object has magnetic properties or can be connected to a motor that is powered by electricity, it can be rotated 90 degrees using a magnet or electricity.

3. Is it possible to use both a magnet and electricity to rotate an object 90 degrees?

Yes, it is possible to use both a magnet and electricity to rotate an object 90 degrees. This can be done by using a combination of magnetic and electric forces to create a rotating motion.

4. Is there a specific type of magnet or electricity that is needed to rotate an object 90 degrees?

The type of magnet or electricity needed to rotate an object 90 degrees will depend on the specific properties and size of the object. Different magnets and electricity sources may be more suitable for different objects.

5. How can the rotation of an object using a magnet or electricity be controlled?

The rotation of an object using a magnet or electricity can be controlled by varying the strength of the magnetic field or the amount of electricity being supplied. This can be done through the use of switches, controllers, or other devices that can adjust the forces being applied to the object.