1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic dipole moment derivation

1. Feb 1, 2016 #1
    mdp3.png (2)

Hi. I am having a problem with understanding how to approximate 1/R in the forms of equations written above.

I took this equations from a blog, and it tells that I can use talyor polynomial. but I don't get there somehow.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

$$
    \sqrt{(x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+z^2} \approx \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2-2xx'-2yy'}
    $$
    where the terms square in ##x'## and ##y'## have been omitted. Then make substitution ##r^2 = x^2+y^2+z^2##,
    $$
    r\sqrt{1-2\frac{x}{r^2}x'-2\frac{y}{r^2}y'}
    $$
    and apply Taylor expansion truncating the third term.

4. Feb 1, 2016 #3
    Hello, I am really sorry but could you provide me the taylor expansion of it?

5. Feb 2, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To simplify the appearance, you can make the substitution ##-2\frac{x}{r^2}x'-2\frac{y}{r^2}y' = u## so that
    $$
    r\sqrt{1-2\frac{x}{r^2}x'-2\frac{y}{r^2}y'} = r(1+u)^p
    $$
    where ##p=1/2##. Now look up online or in your textbook examples of Taylor series, especially the series which corresponds to a form ##(1+u)^p## with ##|u|<1## as is the case here.

6. Feb 3, 2016 #5
    Thanks. I got it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook