1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field around spinning sphere

1. Aug 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So there's a sphere, and it has a positive charge on it. The sphere is spinning, and the angular velocity vector is pointing up through the top. What does the magnetic field look like inside & outside the sphere?

qu1.jpg

2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution

This is what I think it looks like outside of the sphere, but I'm not sure what it would look like inside...

qu2.jpg

Attached Files:

• qu1.jpg
      qu1.jpg
      File size:
      2.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Which equation do you use to figure out the magnetic B-field due to moving charges (current)? That is certainly a Relevant Equation for this problem.

4. Aug 7, 2009 #3
    F=qvBsin(theta) ?

I dont see how this is relevant though, since I am not asked to calculate anything, simply draw in the magnetic field lines

5. Aug 11, 2009 #4
    can anyone tell me if im thinking about this right? i dont need any equations I just need to be able to draw the magnetic field

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook