Magnetic field around spinning sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnetic field around a spinning sphere with a positive charge. The angular velocity vector is pointed upwards through the top. The question is raised about the appearance of the magnetic field inside and outside of the sphere. While there is uncertainty about the inside of the sphere, the equation F=qvBsin(theta) is suggested as a possible calculation for the magnetic B-field due to moving charges. However, the main focus is on being able to draw the magnetic field lines without the use of equations.
ninjadrummer8

Homework Statement

So there's a sphere, and it has a positive charge on it. The sphere is spinning, and the angular velocity vector is pointing up through the top. What does the magnetic field look like inside & outside the sphere?

qu1.jpg

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I think it looks like outside of the sphere, but I'm not sure what it would look like inside...

qu2.jpg

Attachments

• qu1.jpg
    qu1.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
Which equation do you use to figure out the magnetic B-field due to moving charges (current)? That is certainly a Relevant Equation for this problem.

F=qvBsin(theta) ?

I don't see how this is relevant though, since I am not asked to calculate anything, simply draw in the magnetic field lines

can anyone tell me if I am thinking about this right? i don't need any equations I just need to be able to draw the magnetic field

1. What is a magnetic field around a spinning sphere?

A magnetic field around a spinning sphere is a region of space where magnetic forces are exerted due to the rotation of the sphere. This field is generated by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, within the sphere.

2. How is the magnetic field around a spinning sphere created?

The magnetic field around a spinning sphere is created by the motion of charged particles within the sphere. As the sphere spins, these charged particles are also in motion, creating a magnetic field that extends outwards from the sphere.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field around a spinning sphere?

The strength of the magnetic field around a spinning sphere is affected by several factors, including the speed of rotation, the magnetic properties of the sphere, and the distance from the sphere. The strength of the field is also influenced by the presence of other magnetic fields in the surrounding space.

4. How does the direction of the spinning sphere affect the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the spinning sphere determines the direction of the magnetic field lines. The field lines will follow the direction of the rotation of the sphere, creating a circular pattern around the sphere.

5. What are some real-world applications of the magnetic field around a spinning sphere?

The magnetic field around a spinning sphere has many practical applications, including in generators, motors, and compasses. It is also used in scientific research to study the behavior of charged particles and to create magnetic levitation. In addition, the Earth's magnetic field can be thought of as a giant magnetic field around a spinning sphere, which protects the planet from harmful solar radiation.