Magnetic field at a pt created from two wires.

In summary, the problem involves two infinite wires carrying currents, i1 = 5.00 A out of the paper and i2 = 7.00 A into the paper, with known distances a = 40.0 cm and b = 30.0 cm. The goal is to calculate the direction of the magnetic field at point P, measured counterclockwise from the +x axis, with a given image and equation. Using the right-hand rule, the components of B1 at P can be determined. For B2, the components are proportional to < 3/5, 4/5 >, which are found using the known right triangle formed by the two wire cross-sections and point P. The components
unhip_crayon

Homework Statement

The two wires carrying the currents are infinite in length. i1 = 5.00 A out
of the paper and i2 = 7.00 A into the paper. a = 40.0 cm and b = 30.0 cm.
Calculate the direction of the magnetic field at P, measured counterclockwise
from the +x axis.

Answer: 126.4°

http://answerboard.cramster.com/answer-board/image/5769206ead06ab440f5adef680da9eba.jpg

Homework Equations

http://answerboard.cramster.com/Answer-Board/Image/cramster-equation-20088221440246335501282431425007016.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

B1 = (μo /2π) (5 A) / (0.30m) = (μo/2π) 16.6667

B2 = (μo/2π) 14

Thats it, I am stuck. I tried breaking this into components and finding the angle but it did not work.

Please Help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
All right, you recognize that you need components, which is good. Using the right-hand rule for B1 at point P, what are the components? (This one isn't bad.)

For dealing with B2 then, we know the components will be

[tex]B_{2x} = B_2 \cdot cos \theta[/tex] and [tex]B_{2y} = B_2 \cdot sin \theta[/tex].

So what is the angle? It must point perpendicular to the hypotenuse of the right triangle formed by the two wire cross-sections and P; as you also recognized, this is a 3-4-5 right triangle. So a vector pointing along the hypotenuse from wire 2 to P would have components proportional to
< -4/5 , 3/5 >. B2 points perpendicular to this vector into the "first quadrant", so the components of B2 are proportional to < 3/5, 4/5 >. Those are the cosine and sine values for our components of B2, so we can get the components themselves from that.

We're not quite done, since we still have to add the x- and y-components of the two magnetic fields at P to get the components for the total field... then there's getting the direction in which the total field vector points. But I imagine you can take it from there...

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be observed. It is created by moving electric charges, such as those found in electric current.

How is a magnetic field created from two wires?

A magnetic field is created from two wires when electric current flows through them in opposite directions. The magnetic fields created by each wire interact with each other and form a combined magnetic field.

How do you calculate the strength of the magnetic field at a point created from two wires?

The strength of the magnetic field at a point created from two wires can be calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wires, and r is the distance from the point to the wires.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field at a point created from two wires?

The strength of the magnetic field at a point created from two wires is affected by the distance from the wires, the magnitude of the current in the wires, and the permeability of the surrounding medium.

Can the direction of the magnetic field at a point created from two wires be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field at a point created from two wires can be changed by reversing the direction of the current in one or both of the wires. This will cause the magnetic fields created by each wire to cancel out or align, resulting in a different overall direction of the magnetic field at the point.