Magnetic field at point P from two wires using Biot-Savart's law

  • Thread starter Thread starter Baydith
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Law
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Baydith
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Calculate magnetic field intensity in point P using Biot-Savart's law. How should the supplying wires be arranged so that they would not influence field in P point? a=0.2m,i=10A

Homework Equations



Biot Savart's law

img884.png

The Attempt at a Solution



In the attachment.

The tutor graded my work for only 3 (that is C), whereas I don't quite understand why. Could anyone tell me what was wrong with my solution?

Thanks in advance!
 
Attachments
  • pic_biot_savart.jpg
    pic_biot_savart.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 474
  • biot_savart.pdf
    biot_savart.pdf
    497.9 KB · Views: 329
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't segment 2 supposed to be a circular arc? Do you have a scan of the original diagram?
 
The scan is in the attachment, it is linear, therefore from the equation, this segment does not contribute to the magnetic field. However, I'm wondering how to place all the wires that they would not contribute to the magnetic field...
 
Baydith said:
The scan is in the attachment, it is linear, therefore from the equation, this segment does not contribute to the magnetic field. However, I'm wondering how to place all the wires that they would not contribute to the magnetic field...
From your work, you seem to have more information than was shown on the problem statement. Where did that all come from?

I didn't check your work closely, but I didn't see any obvious errors. Have you asked your tutor for clarification?

As far as the arrangement of the supply wires goes, think about the fact you have one segment that doesn't contribute to the magnetic field at P. Why doesn't it? How can you apply that concept to the supply wires?