Canceling Magnetic Field between two wires using an external force

In summary, the problem involves two wires with equal currents running in opposite directions and a separation of 0.019 m between them. An external magnetic field must be applied in the vertical direction to cancel out the magnetic field at the position of each wire. The magnitude of this external field is unknown and needs to be determined. The relevant equations are B = (μ0I)/(2πr) and F = (μ0I1I2)/(2πr)L, where μ0 is the permeability of free space (4πx10^-7 Tm/A). The attempted solution involved plugging in the given values for current and separation into the first equation to find B, but the resulting value was incorrect. Doubling the
rosstheboss23

Homework Statement

Suppose that I1 = I2 = 20 A; currents are running opposite each other, and that the separation between the wires is 0.019 m. By applying an external magnetic field (created by a source other than the wires) it is possible to cancel the magnetic field at the position of each of the wires. This external field must point along the vertical direction. What is the magnitude of the external field?

Homework Equations

B= [(permeability of free space) times (current)]/ [(2 (pie) r)]
F(from wire 1 to 2)= I2 [(permeability of free space)I1]/[2 pie r] times L
Permeability of free space is 4 pie times 10-7 Ttimes m/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Working through this a plugged in current and separation between wires into the equation to find B. I got .084 Telsa. I found out this was the wrong answer and thought doubling it would get me the right answer, but it didn't. I wasn't given a radius for the wire so I don't know what to do. Can anyone help me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From what you wrote, I have no idea what the question is.

Please write out the problem statement exactly as it was given to you.

I have added the question by editing my initial information. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Related to Canceling Magnetic Field between two wires using an external force

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be observed. It is created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons.

2. How is a magnetic field created between two wires?

A magnetic field is created between two wires when an electric current flows through them. The movement of the electrons in the wires creates a magnetic field around the wires.

3. Why would someone want to cancel the magnetic field between two wires?

Canceling the magnetic field between two wires can be useful in situations where the magnetic field may interfere with other devices or cause unwanted effects. For example, in electronic circuits, a strong magnetic field can disrupt the flow of electricity and affect the performance of the circuit.

4. How can an external force cancel the magnetic field between two wires?

An external force, such as a magnetic field generated by another source or a physical force like pressure, can be used to counteract the magnetic field between two wires. This can be achieved by positioning the external force in a way that it cancels out the magnetic field of the wires.

5. Is it possible to completely cancel the magnetic field between two wires?

No, it is not possible to completely cancel the magnetic field between two wires. However, the strength of the magnetic field can be significantly reduced by using an external force to cancel it out.