1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Magnetic field created by a wire acts on the wire itself?

1. Dec 20, 2016 #1
    So here is the problem, it asks me to find the total magnetic field on BA, i made a vectorial sum with the magnetic field generated by i1 and by i2 and i got the right result, but why not adding also the magnetic field generated by the wire itself? I mean generated by CD why isn't that correct? There is current i glowing in CD too, so it generates a magnetic field, why doesn't this add too? Basically im asking: does a wire carriyng current generate a magnetic field that can imteract with that wire?
    Please help me

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are correct. The exercise doesn't take these 'internal' forces into account because they don't influence the net force on the complete loop ABCD.

4. Dec 20, 2016 #3
    So... if it asks me the total magnetic field on BA and doesn't take under account the field generated by CD the book gave me a wrong result? Thanks

5. Dec 20, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree. It asks for the total magnetic force on AB and for the total force on CD. The 75.6 ##\mu##T in the answer for AB ignores the field produced by BC (88.4 ##\mu##T)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted