Magnetic field due to electron?

In summary, when a charge is resting, there is no magnetic field because the charges are at the same location. However, when the charge moves, there is a magnetic field because the charges are moving at different locations.
rahaverhma
When a charge is rest w.r.t me no magnetic field is produced but when it moves w.r.t me then there exists a magnetic field, how?

Physics news on Phys.org
rahaverhma said:
When a charge is rest w.r.t me no magnetic field is produced but when it moves w.r.t me then there exists a magnetic field, how?

What do you mean by "how"?

Are you asking for how the charge can move? Or are you asking for a description of the magnetic field for when the charge move? Have you looked at Maxwell equations?

Zz.

I actually want to know that if magnetic field depends on the relative motion of charge
w. r. t observer and then how?

rahaverhma said:
I actually want to know that if magnetic field depends on the relative motion of charge
w. r. t observer and then how?

Magnetic fields depends on "current", which, by definition, is the motion of charge. So that should tell you already about the first part of your question.

I have no idea what you mean by "how", which was what I asked previously, and you didn't answer. You also didn't answer if you're familiar with Maxwell equations. Without such help (you really have not provided sufficient information), there's no way to tell you want you want to know.

I also think I'm done with this because I don't have the patience to keep prodding for more info, especially when they went unanswered. Maybe someone else here will help you.

Zz.

More of a relative movement question I believe.
1) You are sitting still and an electron moves by you, you observe a magnetic field
2) You and the electron are moving - you observe no magnetic field...

In short it does depend on the RELATIVE velocity of the observer and charge. Answering the why.. how much do you know and how much time do you have to learn special relativity.

Found this video some time ago, I can not vouch for it's accuracy - but it is just a basic review, was good enough for my BE level understanding.

Likes David Lewis

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an area of space surrounding a magnet or electric current in which magnetic forces can be detected. It is created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons.

2. How is a magnetic field created by an electron?

An electron has an inherent property called spin, which generates a magnetic dipole moment. This dipole moment creates a magnetic field around the electron, with the direction of the field determined by the direction of the electron's spin.

3. How does the strength of the magnetic field due to an electron change?

The strength of the magnetic field due to an electron is directly proportional to the magnitude of the electron's spin. The higher the spin, the stronger the magnetic field will be. Additionally, the distance from the electron also affects the strength of the field, as it decreases with distance.

4. What is the direction of the magnetic field due to an electron?

The direction of the magnetic field due to an electron is determined by the right-hand rule. If the thumb of your right hand points in the direction of the electron's spin, then the curl of your fingers gives the direction of the magnetic field.

5. How is the magnetic field due to an electron used in everyday life?

The magnetic field due to an electron is used in a variety of technologies, including compasses, electric motors, and MRI machines. It is also important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in space and in the Earth's magnetic field.