1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Magnetic field due to displacement current and Ampere's law

1. Jan 7, 2017 #1
    I have a doubt on this calculation of magnetic field in presence of displacement current. Consider a capacitor of radius ##R## and with plates at distance ##d## being charged: there is a displacement current in it.

Suppose that I want to calculate the magnetic field ##B## at a distance ##r < R## both inside and outside the capacitor.

Consider the two amperian-loops, both of radius ##r<R##, one inside and one outside the capcitor.

5555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555.png

Outside: Ampere Law leads to
    $$2 \pi r B= \mu_0 i_C \to B(r)=\frac{\mu_0 i_c}{2 \pi r} \tag{1}$$

Inside: Ampere Law leads to

$$2 \pi rB= \mu_0 \epsilon_0 \frac{\partial \Phi(E(t))}{\partial t}=\mu_0 \epsilon_0 \pi r^2 E(t)\to B(r)=\frac{\mu_0 \epsilon_0 r}{2} E(t)=\frac{\mu_0 \epsilon_0 r}{2d} V(t)\tag{2}$$

Where ##V(t)## is the voltage difference in the capacitor.

Therefore the two different magnetic fields, inside and outside the capacitor are different. Is that right?

I think it is not so strange since ##r<R## and therefore I did not consider all the displacement current, but only a part of it. Or am I missing something important?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2017 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

What you have done is correct, except in the second equations your should have dE/dt and dV/dt instead of E and V. But the magnetic field needs to be continuous at r=R. Try setting your two expressions equal at r=R and see what you get. What does this tell you about the relation between i and V?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted