Magnetic field due to moving charges?

In summary: According to Wikipedia, "the electron has a greater mass than the proton by a factor of about 6.6 million."
harjot singh
explain me a simple reason why magnetic field is only caused when charges are moving and not when their is no current moving but that is quite tricky even because if we say that their is no potential difference between the wire but in that case also electrons are moving in a random path still,the only thing i want to know is that why can't a magnetic field be produced when current is not there because if electrons are randomly moving than still for the charge outside the wire which will experience the magnetic force in its frame of reference the inside electrons are still moving although randomly but still moving so please explain me everything i know i am wrong in very much parts but please correct me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your post is really hard to read...

The magnetic fields of electrons moving in opposite directions cancel - if you just have unordered motion without a net current, all contributions cancel.

Likes 1 person
mfb said:
Your post is really hard to read...

The magnetic fields of electrons moving in opposite directions cancel - if you just have unordered motion without a net current, all contributions cancel.

thanks mentor mfb could you please explain me the real cause behind magnetism from moving charges because some says its due to relativity in concern but others include maxwell's equations i atlast ask you to tell me what is the real fact of this unusualness of electromagnetism?

Your second post is also really hard to read.

What makes you think that Maxwell's Equations and Special Relativity can't both be explanations?

There is no (known?) reason for physical laws. Our universe just behaves that way.
There is no "unusualness".

You can use the Maxwell equations, or you can use the equations for static fields (in the system of the charge) together with transformations of special relativity. Both methods are fine to describe the process - but they don't answer "why" questions.

explain to me why magnetic field is not produced when their is no current because still electrons are moving but in random way but still moving then according to length contraction their density should increase action and they should repel a negative charge but nothing happens in absence of current? why?

That's what I explained in post 2.

could you please explain me similar magnetism in bar magnets because their is no current running even out their then how there is a magnetism associated?

harjot singh said:
could you please explain me similar magnetism in bar magnets because their is no current running even out their then how there is a magnetism associated?

It has to do with the alignment of unpaired electrons and their spins.
See this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferromagnetism

Likes 1 person
Because when the electrons are randomly arranged there is a very weak field, it is so weak that it can't be taken in consideration, because the produced fields have different directions so they cancel each other, but at a current all, the electrons are directed in the same direction producing a unidirectional field, same thing how ferromagnetic materials turn into magnets when affected by another magnet and then lose their magnetism when the effect of the other magnet vanishes
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1388432555.836215.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1388432579.095620.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1388432579.095620.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1388433048.900725.jpg

1. What is a magnetic field due to moving charges?

A magnetic field due to moving charges is a type of magnetic field created by the motion of electrically charged particles. This type of magnetic field is also known as a "magnetic field of moving charges" or "magnetic field of a current."

2. How is a magnetic field due to moving charges created?

A magnetic field due to moving charges is created when charged particles, such as electrons, move through a conductor. This motion creates a circular magnetic field around the conductor.

3. What is the relationship between current and magnetic field due to moving charges?

The strength of the magnetic field due to moving charges is directly proportional to the current in the conductor. This means that as the current increases, the strength of the magnetic field also increases.

4. How does the direction of the magnetic field due to moving charges relate to the direction of the current?

The direction of the magnetic field due to moving charges is related to the direction of the current through the right-hand rule. If the current is flowing in the direction of the thumb on your right hand, the magnetic field will wrap around your fingers in a circular motion.

5. What are some practical applications of the magnetic field due to moving charges?

The magnetic field due to moving charges has many practical applications, including electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators. It is also used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technology in the medical field.