Magnetic field of a moving charge and coulombs force

In summary: The radial electric field is unchanged, but the radial magnetic field is squashed. The Lorentz force is not squashed, so something has to give. The Lorentz force is squashed in the direction of motion.In summary, the conversation discusses the magnetic field of a charge Q moving at speed V, with the distance r measured normal to V. There is a debate on whether the gamma factor should be included in the formula, with one source suggesting it should not be included while another source argues that it should be. The Lienard-Wiechert potential is mentioned as a way to incorporate acceleration and angle dependence, but it is simplified when the acceleration is removed and the charge is perpendicular to the motion. The field
Hiero
By relativity+coulombs force, I worked out that the (magnitude of the) magnetic field of a charge Q moving at speed V should be (ϒVV/c2)Q/(4πε0r2) or in terms of mu, ϒVμ0VQ/(4πr2) (where the distance r is measured normal to V).

When I google the answer I only find the same thing but without the gamma factor. Did I make a mistake or are they just using the non-relativistic approximation ϒ≈1?

Physics news on Phys.org
DuckAmuck said:
ϒV is the gamma factor of relativity associated with speed V

I saw that page when I googled the question; the result is almost the same as mine, but they are lacking the gamma factor.

So my question again: is their result exact and mine wrong, or is their result approximate (for V<< c) and mine correct?

@kuruman Thanks for the reply but it's a bit much; can't you just say yes or no as to if ϒ should appear in the answer?

The gamma factor should not be there. As speed of charge approaches c, current does not approach infinity, and magnetic field does not approach infinity.

I changed my mind:
The gamma factor can be there. If a charge passes a physicist at ultra-relativistic speed, the physicist measures: 1: A huge electric field 2: A huge magnetic field.

@Hiero does your Coulomb force approach infinity when speed approaches c?

Last edited:
Hiero said:
@kuruman Thanks for the reply but it's a bit much; can't you just say yes or no as to if ϒ should appear in the answer?
If you look at the equation for ##\mathbf B(\mathbf r,t)## in section "Corresponding values of electric and magnetic fields" in the reference that I gave you, you will see that ##\gamma## appears together with a whole lot other stuff for a relativistically correct expression of what you seek. It may seem a bit much, but it is what it is.

The Lienard-Wierchert potential allows for an acceleration of the charge, and gives the angle dependence, which is why it is complicated.
If you remove the acceleration (##\dot{\beta} = 0##) and look at the charge perpendicular to the motion, it is dramatically simplified. Then ##\mathbf{\beta} \times \mathbf{n} = \beta, \mathbf{\beta} \cdot \mathbf{n} = 0##
##B=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \frac{qv(1-\beta^2)}{r^2}=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \frac{qv}{\gamma^2 r^2}##

Khashishi said:
The Lienard-Wierchert potential allows for an acceleration of the charge, and gives the angle dependence, which is why it is complicated.
If you remove the acceleration (##\dot{\beta} = 0##) and look at the charge perpendicular to the motion, it is dramatically simplified. Then ##\mathbf{\beta} \times \mathbf{n} = \beta, \mathbf{\beta} \cdot \mathbf{n} = 0##
##B=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \frac{qv(1-\beta^2)}{r^2}=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \frac{qv}{\gamma^2 r^2}##
Well, to this I would say that the gamma factor should not be there, because the magnetic field is not supposed to approach zero when the speed approaches c.

Hmm, the fields given in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liénard–Wiechert_potential don't seem to agree with the fields given here
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node125.html
Note that the latter source assumes a constant velocity.

I think Hiero's answer agrees with Fitzpatrick's for the case where ##u_r=0##, which is the case when viewing a charge where the ray from the apparent position to the viewer is perpendicular to the motion.

I'll have to mull this over. I believe the field strength scales as ##\gamma## as the charge passes by, but the time of the pulse scales as ##1/\gamma##.
The field lines are squashed into a pancake shape.

1. What is the equation for calculating the magnetic field of a moving charge?

The equation is B = (mu0 * q * v * sin(theta)) / (4 * pi * r^2), where mu0 is the permeability of free space, q is the charge of the moving particle, v is its velocity, theta is the angle between the direction of motion and the direction of the magnetic field, and r is the distance from the moving charge to the point where the magnetic field is being measured.

2. How does the strength of the magnetic field of a moving charge change as its velocity increases?

The strength of the magnetic field increases as the velocity of the moving charge increases. This is because the magnetic field is directly proportional to the velocity of the charge.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field around a moving charge?

The direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to both the direction of motion of the charge and the direction of the magnetic field. This can be determined using the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of motion of the charge, the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, and the palm faces in the direction of the force on a positive charge.

4. How does the magnetic field of a moving charge affect other charges?

The magnetic field of a moving charge exerts a force on other charges in its vicinity. This force, known as the Coulomb's force, is perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the velocity of the charge. The strength of the force depends on the charge of the moving particle, the velocity of the particle, and the distance between the moving charge and the other charge.

5. Can the magnetic field of a moving charge be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic field of a moving charge can be manipulated by changing the velocity or direction of the charge. Additionally, external magnetic fields can also be used to alter the path of a moving charge and affect the direction and strength of the magnetic field. This manipulation of the magnetic field has various applications in fields such as particle accelerators, MRI machines, and electric motors.