1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field/simple current loop

1. Oct 7, 2008 #1
    given a current loop, centered at the origin, and tilted 90 degrees so that it enters at x=1 and exits at x=-1, carrying a unit amount of current, and completely disregarding the z axis.

is the strength of the magnetic field at any point in the xy plane proportional to 1/(distance from 1,0)^2 - 1/(distance from -1,0)^2

in other words does it have an inverse square relation to the current passing through those two points.

I know there are better ways to calculate the net field but I'm looking to understand what is happening here at an intuitive level.

I need the whole field. not just the far field or some sort of approximation.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2008 #2
    what I mean is:

can I find the contribution of each of the 2 currents separately by simply finding the vector which is at a right angle to the vector from that point to the current and making its magnitude equal to 1/(distance to the current)^2

and is adding those 2 vectors all that i need to do to calculate the total field

4. Oct 7, 2008 #3

clem

Science Advisor

If it is a closed loop, B does not go like 1/r^2.

5. Oct 7, 2008 #4
  6. Oct 7, 2008 #5
    ok. so evidently thet wont work.

thinking 3 dimensionally, if we look at only one of the 2 currents (due to current along line element dL) then we can see from the symmetry that its field is confined to a wedge extending from the origin through the endpoints of that line element.

I have no idea how to go about calculating the resulting field. I've never seen or done anything like it.

7. Oct 7, 2008 #6

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To find the magnetic field of a finite loop, you will need to use elliptic functions. It's complicated.

However, it can be proven in general that

[tex]\vec B(\vec r) \propto \nabla \Omega(\vec r)[/tex]

where [itex]\Omega(\vec r)[/itex] is the (oriented) solid angle subtended by the current loop at the observation point.

8. Oct 7, 2008 #7
    any connection to the scalar potential of a magnetic field?

9. Oct 8, 2008 #8

clem

Science Advisor

Yes, Omega is the magnetic scalar potential, which happens to equal the solid angle subtended by a current loop of any shape.
    For a circular current loop, the MSP can be found be either an elliptic integral, or by a Legendre polynomial, partial wave expansion.

10. Oct 8, 2008 #9
    so the msp isnt so much discontinuous as multi-valued (like an angle)?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  11. Oct 8, 2008 #10

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's multivalued, or discontinuous if you make a branch cut.

However, in free space (in the absence of any currents), it is single-valued, as in this case (there is no J at the observation point).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook