Magnetic Fields and Rotational Diffusion

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the rotational diffusion of a magnetic particle in water and the need to account for the restoring force from the magnetic field. The known information includes the magnetic field strength, magnetic moment, and rotational diffusion coefficient. The speaker has been using the online program Hydra++ for calculations and is seeking help on how to incorporate the restoring force into their calculations. The particle will experience torque due to the magnetic field.
Thadis
Hello, I am having to find the rotational diffusion of a magnetic particle inside of water. I already have a diffusion coefficient but I do not know how to take into account the restoring force that the particle will feel from the magnetic field.

The info that I know is:
B-Field Strength
m-magnetic moment
D-rotational diffusion coeffiecent

I have been using the online program Hydra++ to get the rotational diffusion coeffiencent.

Does anyone know how to take into account the restoring force of the magnetic field? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The particle will experience torque (moment of force)

$$
\boldsymbol{\tau} = \mathbf m  \times \mathbf B
$$

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be observed. This force is produced by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and is characterized by its direction and strength.

2. How are magnetic fields created?

Magnetic fields can be created by permanent magnets, electric currents, or changing electric fields. In most cases, they are created by the movement of electric charges, as in the case of Earth's magnetic field which is created by the movement of molten iron in its core.

3. How do magnetic fields affect objects?

Objects with magnetic properties, such as iron, are affected by magnetic fields. They can be attracted or repelled depending on the orientation of the magnetic field. The strength of the magnetic field also determines the extent of this effect.

4. What is rotational diffusion?

Rotational diffusion refers to the random movement and reorientation of particles in a fluid. This phenomenon is caused by collisions between particles and the fluid molecules and is affected by factors such as temperature and viscosity.

5. How do magnetic fields affect rotational diffusion?

Magnetic fields can have a significant impact on rotational diffusion. In the presence of a magnetic field, particles can align themselves with the direction of the field, reducing their rotational diffusion. This effect is used in various applications, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and magnetic separation techniques.