Magnetic flux through a rotating bar

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of induced emf in a rotating bar with a constant magnetic field. The person asking the question is confused about why the flux is changing despite the area and magnetic field remaining constant. Another person suggests that the area "swept by" the bar is changing, which explains the change in flux. A link is provided for further clarification on the topic.
Baptiste Debes
Hello everyone,
My question is between theorie and practical (so I'm still wondering if it's the right place). I'm reading Serway and Jewett. There's an example about the magnetic flux through a rotating bar and so and induced emf. I understand this emf will be equal to the the opposite of the variation of magnetic flux with respect to the time. But here, as you may see in the picture, B is uniform. (Hoping I can post this kind of picture, I'll delete it straightaway if not)
JdsCX9g.png

So why is the flux changing ? The area (assuming there is one ?), angle and B field are constant. They're actually using a result coming from a previous example : the sliding bar on two rails with a resistance R between and immerged in a uniform magnetic field. This result is that EMF = -Blv (with l the length of the bar and v its speed). I understood this. But I don't get it when they're using it for the rotating bar saying dEMF = Bvdr.

Many thanks,

Baptiste Debes

Physics news on Phys.org
Baptiste Debes said:
So why is the flux changing ?
The area "swept by" the bar is changing.

Ok, I understand, but this area is the same and B is uniform. When you take definition of magnetic flux and than its variation with time I don't see mention of this kind of change.

Thank you for the time you're giving to me

What is magnetic flux through a rotating bar?

The magnetic flux through a rotating bar is the measure of the total magnetic field passing through the surface of a rotating bar. It is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field.

How is magnetic flux through a rotating bar calculated?

The magnetic flux through a rotating bar can be calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field by the area of the surface the magnetic field is passing through. This can be represented by the equation Φ = B x A, where Φ is the magnetic flux, B is the magnetic field, and A is the area.

What factors affect the magnetic flux through a rotating bar?

The magnetic flux through a rotating bar is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of rotation, and the size and shape of the rotating bar. It can also be affected by external factors such as the presence of other magnetic fields or conducting materials nearby.

What is the significance of magnetic flux through a rotating bar?

The magnetic flux through a rotating bar is an important concept in electromagnetism and is used in the design and operation of many devices such as generators and motors. It also helps us understand the relationship between magnetic fields and electric currents.

How can magnetic flux through a rotating bar be manipulated?

Magnetic flux through a rotating bar can be manipulated by changing the strength of the magnetic field, altering the speed of rotation, or changing the size and shape of the rotating bar. It can also be affected by the use of magnetic materials or by controlling the direction of the magnetic field.