Magnetic force -- does it fall off to zero far away from the source?

In summary, Maxwell's equations are self-consistent and do not have any contradictions. However, when combined with the principle of relativity and the Galilean transforms, contradictions can arise. This can be resolved by either hypothesizing a medium for electromagnetism to operate against or using the Lorentz transform and discarding the notion of absolute time, resulting in Special Relativity. It is important to note that Maxwell's equations do not describe everything in physics, such as gravity, the strong nuclear interaction, or the photoelectric effect. Furthermore, the linearity of Maxwell's equations in vacuum allows for the addition of multiple systems, causing charges to disappear. The "systems" being referred to in this context are likely different frames of reference
Yahya Sharif
Let's say we have a wire and a circuit is closed the magnetic field start to spread with speed of light c. Then we would have a place " out of range " at which the magnetic field doesn't exist.What is the equation that connects magnetic force with distance with its prorogation of speed of light c and with its range ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yahya Sharif said:
Let's say we have a wire and a circuit is closed the magnetic field start to spread with speed of light c.
Actually, it'll be an electromagnetic field, not a pure magnetic field.

You need to look up the Lienard-Wiechert potentials, which describe fields from general moving charges. The maths is not simple, I'm afraid.

Likes vanhees71
Ibix said:
Actually, it'll be an electromagnetic field, not a pure magnetic field.

You need to look up the Lienard-Wiechert potentials, which describe fields from general moving charges. The maths is not simple, I'm afraid.
haha I am in physics II right now and this totally blew my mind. We just learned about Maxwell's equations and now I learned they have some sort of contradiction and they still don't describe everything. Thanks

khamo said:
We just learned about Maxwell's equations and now I learned they have some sort of contradiction and they still don't describe everything.
I'm afraid I don't understand this comment. There are no contradictions that I'm aware of, and the only thing Maxwell's equations don't cover in electromagnetism is quantum theory.

Edit: The Lienard-Wiechert potentials, if that's what you are referring to with "don't describe everything", are a solution to Maxwell's equations for a particular scenario.

Last edited:
Ibix said:
I'm afraid I don't understand this comment. There are no contradictions that I'm aware of, and the only thing Maxwell's equations don't cover in electromagnetism is quantum theory.

Edit: The Lienard-Wiechert potentials, if that's what you are referring to with "don't describe everything", are a solution to Maxwell's equations for a particular scenario.

ok i wasn't sure to the inclusivity about the Lienard-Wiechert potentials but I was referring to how in the article it talks about how there's a problem with maxwell's equations and linearity?

khamo said:
in the article
Which article? People here can better address the problems or contradictions that it discusses if they can actually read it for themselves.

Likes davenn
khamo said:
We just learned about Maxwell's equations and now I learned they have some sort of contradiction and they still don't describe everything.
Guessing at the meaning...

Maxwell's equations by themselves are self-consistent. No contradictions. But if you add the principle of relativity (the laws of physics are unchanged regardless of the choice of inertial reference frame) and if you try to transform measurements between frames using the Galilean transforms then contradictions emerge.

One way out is to hypothesize a medium against which electromagnetism operates -- the ether. Another way out is to use the Lorentz transform and discard the notion of absolute time. The result is Special Relativity.

Maxwell's equations do not describe everything. They do not describe gravity, the strong nuclear interaction, or the photoelectric effect.

jbriggs444 said:
Guessing at the meaning...

Maxwell's equations by themselves are self-consistent. No contradictions. But if you add the principle of relativity (the laws of physics are unchanged regardless of the choice of inertial reference frame) and if you try to transform measurements between frames using the Galilean transforms then contradictions emerge.

One way out is to hypothesize a medium against which electromagnetism operates -- the ether. Another way out is to use the Lorentz transform and discard the notion of absolute time. The result is Special Relativity.

Maxwell's equations do not describe everything. They do not describe gravity, the strong nuclear interaction, or the photoelectric effect.
Right i guess that was the general point i was alluding to.

I actually misinterpreted what i was reading. What i meant to say was that 'linearity of Maxwell's equations in vacuum allows one to add both systems, so that the charges disappear'.

which is kind of like a contradiction? what are the 'systems' they are talking about?

1. What is the magnetic force?

The magnetic force is a type of force that is exerted between two magnets or between a magnet and a magnetic material. It is caused by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons.

2. How does the strength of the magnetic force change with distance?

The strength of the magnetic force decreases as the distance between the source of the magnetic field and the object it is acting upon increases. This is known as the inverse square law, meaning that the force decreases by the square of the distance.

3. Does the magnetic force eventually fall off to zero?

Yes, the magnetic force will eventually fall off to zero as the distance from the source increases. However, the rate at which it decreases depends on the strength of the magnetic field and the distance between the objects.

4. Can the magnetic force be felt far away from the source?

No, the magnetic force is not typically felt by humans at a distance from the source. This is because the force is relatively weak and only affects objects that are sensitive to magnetic fields, such as other magnets or magnetic materials.

5. How does the magnetic force compare to other types of forces?

The magnetic force is generally weaker than other types of forces, such as gravity or the electric force. However, it can still have a significant impact on objects that are sensitive to magnetic fields, such as compass needles or electronic devices.