Magnetic Force of identical shaped box bar magnets

In summary, magnets have a gravitational force that gets weaker as the distance between the magnets gets larger.
dm164
I am having a problem with my understanding. I could be incorrect, but I think that the magnetic field emitted from a magnet is consistent and doesn't weaken at points further away. Then could someone explain how magnet force weakens with distance. I would also like to know the math so here is a problem I created.

Say I have two identical shaped box bar magnets with dimensions (l,w,d) and mass m, and magnetic field b/

The face of w*d is the side that is directed at each magnet. (ie wxd of magnet_a faces w*d of magnet_b)

Variable x is the distance between the two magnets.

So, how can I figure the forces at x.Sorry, I accidently put this in wrong forum

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take a refrigerator magnet and hold it 10 meters from a refrigerator. Is there much force? That should tell you something qualitative about the force vs. distance.

There is no such thing as a "bar magnet with magnetic field b" so the second part has no answer.

@Vanadium you are no help. I didn't say if magnets force get weaker I said how does it.

Also then, why are magnets rated in Teslas. Such as Neodymium which is 1.2-1.6 Tesla at poles.

dm164 said:
@Vanadium you are no help. I didn't say if magnets force get weaker I said how does it.

dm164 said:
I think that the magnetic field emitted from a magnet is consistent and doesn't weaken at points further away

When you make up your mind, we can talk.

dm164 said:
Then could someone explain how magnet force weakens with distance. I would also like to know the math so here is a problem I created.
Use the Biot-Savart law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biot_savart) or Ampere's law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampere_law) to express the magnetic field as fuction of distance, you will find that the magnetic field is inversely proportional to distance.

To find the magnetic force, you will then need to use the Lorentz force applied on a charged particle moving in a magnetic field (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_force).

Last edited by a moderator:
Bio Savart works with a moving charge, but I don't know the speed the electrons. What formulas can be used to determine the repelling or acting force of magnet. And what information do I need about a magnet's strength that will help me.

dm164 said:
Bio Savart works with a moving charge, but I don't know the speed the electrons. What formulas can be used to determine the repelling or acting force of magnet. And what information do I need about a magnet's strength that will help me.

Wow! Your problem is now getting serious but check this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field

1. What is the concept of magnetic force?

The concept of magnetic force is the attraction or repulsion between two objects due to their magnetic properties. Every magnet has a north and south pole, and opposite poles attract while like poles repel.

2. How does the shape of a bar magnet affect its magnetic force?

The shape of a bar magnet does not affect its magnetic force. As long as the magnet has a north and south pole, it will have the same strength of magnetic force regardless of its shape.

3. Can two identical shaped bar magnets have different magnetic forces?

No, two identical shaped bar magnets should have the same magnetic force. This is because the strength of the magnetic force is determined by the strength of the magnet's poles and not its shape.

4. Is the magnetic force of a bar magnet the same on all sides?

Yes, the magnetic force of a bar magnet is the same on all sides. The magnetic force of a magnet is evenly distributed around its poles, so no matter which side you measure from, the force will be the same.

5. Can the magnetic force of a bar magnet be increased?

Yes, the magnetic force of a bar magnet can be increased by adding more magnets together. When magnets are stacked together, their forces combine, resulting in a stronger overall magnetic force.