1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic force on a charge carrying wire

1. Feb 18, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Magnetic force on a charge carrying wire

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A current carrying wire is in a magnetic field as shown below. The magnet is on a scale. Given this setup, does the scale read more or less weight? Explain using the Right Hand Rule and Newton's Third Law. Note: The apparatus depicted is a magnet sitting on the mass pan of a balance.

2. Relevant equations

The RH rule is a bit long to explain here.. basically, the current is flowing W, and the magnetic force is N to S.

Newton's 3rd: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. The attempt at a solution

The wire is carrying current, but the current is not given. Current must be positive, so therefore it has a charge of >0. Positive current exerts a force upward based on the drawing, so the magnet will weigh less. I don't know how to explain this in terms of the RH rule, though. My best guess:

With my thumb pointing in the direction of the current and fingers wrapped around the wire, the magnetic force flows N to S. My open palm would face left? right? up? down?, which corresponds to the force the magnet will feel. Because of Newton's Third Law, the weight will _____.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

4. Feb 18, 2008 #3
    So if the magnetic force on the wire is upward, then the magnet itself will push downward, resulting in a weight gain.

Thanks for the links, also. Much more informative than my prof's lecture notes.
  5. Feb 18, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right. If the magnet pushes the wire up, the wire pushes the magnet down--increasing its apparent weight.
  6. Feb 18, 2008 #5
    Awesome. Thanks for the help!
  7. Oct 6, 2009 #6
    Re: [SOLVED] Magnetic force on a charge carrying wire

Hmm... What if a wire is attached to the N surface of a very broad magnet? Now if the current is switched on, and the whole setup is free to rotate on a wheel, what will happen? Will the BIL force continue to rotate the wire with the magnet for as long as the current flows?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?