Magnetic Force on Various Sides of Spinning Loop?

In summary: Also, you are supposed to find the size of the force, not the magnitude of the force.)In summary, the loop has a height of 8 cm and a width of 15 cm. It is in a horizontal uniform magnetic field of magnitude 0.4 T at an angle of 65°. Each of the 1000 turns of wire in the loop carries a current of 0.22 A counterclockwise. To find the force on each side of the loop, the equation Fb=ILBSsintheta is used, where theta is the angle between the current and the magnetic field. The correct values for I, L, and B must be used to find the force on each side.
longcatislong
Magnetic Force on Various Sides of Spinning Loop??

Homework Statement

A horizontal uniform magnetic field of magnitude 0.4 T is oriented at an angle of = 65° relative to a line perpendicular to plane of a vertical, rectangular loop, as indicated in the figure. The loop has a height of 8 cm and a width of 15 cm. Each of the 1000 turns of wire in the loop carries a current of 0.22 A counterclockwise around it.

a link to the diagram: http://www.webassign.net/userimages/last-prob-diag-small.jpg?db=v4net&id=86188

(a) Find the size of the force (+ only) on each side of the loop:
top: ____N?
bottom: 2 N
left: ___N?
right:____N?

Homework Equations

Fb=ILBsintheta (where theta is the angle between I and B)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm using Fb=ILBSsintheta, and found theta to be 25 degrees. For the force on the top side, I'm using the length of the top side, 15cm=.15m.

I=.22A
L=.15m
B=.4T
theta=25 degrees

So, I get Fb=(.22)(.25)(.4)(Sin25)=.005579

I've also tried using the length of the other side, but it's still wrong according to my online homework.

Anything will help! This assignment is due soon!

Physics news on Phys.org

longcatislong said:
I'm using Fb=ILBSsintheta, and found theta to be 25 degrees.
[tex] \vec{F_B} = \vec IL \times \vec B, [/tex]
which can be represented by
[tex] F_B = ILB \sin \theta, [/tex]
where [itex] \theta [/itex] is the angle between [itex] \vec I [/itex] and [itex] \vec B [/itex]. Here I is the total current on a given side, whatever the configuration of wires carrying the total current happens to be.

So for some of sides of the loop, [itex] \theta [/itex] is 25 degrees. But not all sides! (Take it one side at a time. I caution against using 25 deg all willy-nilly.)
For the force on the top side, I'm using the length of the top side, 15cm=.15m.

I=.22A
L=.15m
B=.4T
theta=25 degrees

So, I get Fb=(.22)(.25)(.4)(Sin25)=.005579
The I that you are using (0.22 A) is for a single turn of wire. But there are 1000 turns of wire in the loop. So you're missing a factor of 1000 in there somewhere.

1. What is the magnetic force on the inside of a spinning loop?

The magnetic force on the inside of a spinning loop is zero because the magnetic field lines are parallel to the direction of motion and do not intersect with the loop. As a result, there is no force acting on the loop from the inside.

2. How does the magnetic force on the outside of a spinning loop differ from the inside?

The magnetic force on the outside of a spinning loop is non-zero because the magnetic field lines are perpendicular to the direction of motion and intersect with the loop. This results in a force acting on the loop from the outside, causing it to rotate.

3. Does the strength of the magnetic field affect the force on the spinning loop?

Yes, the strength of the magnetic field does affect the force on the spinning loop. A stronger magnetic field will result in a stronger force on the loop, causing it to rotate faster.

4. What happens to the magnetic force on the spinning loop if the loop is tilted?

If the loop is tilted, the magnetic force acting on it will change direction and may also change in strength. This is because the angle between the direction of motion and the magnetic field lines will change, affecting the force acting on the loop.

5. How does the shape of the spinning loop affect the magnetic force?

The shape of the spinning loop does not affect the magnetic force on it. The force depends on the strength and direction of the magnetic field, as well as the orientation of the loop with respect to the field lines. The shape of the loop only affects the distribution of the force on different sides of the loop.