Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic forces and many poles

1. Jan 10, 2007 #1
    i had this idea of a magnet, if u bend the magnet, so that it has 2 edges on the north pole and 2 edges on the south pole, just like half a tunnel, i dont know the name of the shape, but suppose it has 2 edges on the north pole, wont the 2 edges repel each other because they are positive, what forces act against the repelsion force, can we use that force to do work or energy.
    thanks

btw when i meant 2 edges its just like a U Magnet but in a shape of cylinder-half a tunnel-

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2007 #2
    No. It takes x amount of energy to push the magnets together and you get x when the fly apart. Actually, you get less than x because of friction. Sorry, conservation of energy.

4. Jan 11, 2007 #3
    i didnt quiet get you!m its just one magnet

5. Jan 11, 2007 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't understand the shape you are describing, but in any case, you can't get more work out than the work you put in to bend the magnet into that shape.

6. Jan 11, 2007 #5
    oh, yeh i think i get the idea, anyways i'll try to get the name of the shape or picture it for u, thanks anyways

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?