Magnetic, geographic, geomagnetic, and dip poles on Earth

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
transmini
Messages
81
Reaction score
1
In reading my physics book, there was mention of different types of poles. I was hoping someone could explain the differences and possibly supply a visual representation of the poles with respect to each other as to where they lie on Earth. The different poles were the magnetic N/S, geographic N/S, geomagnetic N/S, and dip N/S.

Also, going simpler, is Earth's geographic north, located near the magnetic north or south pole? I've seen both, like, mention of Earth's north pole, actually being a south pole, yet we still call it magnetic north. I don't quite understand that, at least why we call it magnetic north when its actually a south pole.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
transmini said:
Also, going simpler, is Earth's geographic north, located near the magnetic north or south pole? I've seen both, like, mention of Earth's north pole, actually being a south pole, yet we still call it magnetic north. I don't quite understand that, at least why we call it magnetic north when its actually a south pole.
We call the Earth's magnetic north pole a "north" pole because it is located in the north. We call a magnet's north pole a "north" pole because, if allowed to rotate freely in a horizontal plane, it will point northward.

Opposite poles attract. So the Earth's "north" pole is a magnetic south pole.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DrClaude
jbriggs444 said:
We call the Earth's magnetic north pole a "north" pole because it is located in the north. We call a magnet's north pole a "north" pole because, if allowed to rotate freely in a horizontal plane, it will point northward.

Opposite poles attract. So the Earth's "north" pole is a magnetic south pole.

That just seems like it leads to unnecessary confusion. I feel it'd make more sense just to call our north magnetic pole a south magnetic pole since that's what by definition it is. Thanks for an explanation though.