Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic interaction of wire and rectangular loop

1. Oct 29, 2014 #1
    Hi. In this video:

he ignores the magnetic field from current 2(I2). Could anyone give me a good explanation why?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The magnetic fields from two wires in opposite directions cancel. He says that in the video.

4. Oct 29, 2014 #3
    Thanks, but when in the video does he say that? I can't seem to find it.

5. Oct 30, 2014 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

between 2:15 - 2:20

just keep in mind that he is interested in the effect of the magnetic field generated by I1 on the loop
    the magnetic field generated by the loop current is nulled out

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  6. Nov 3, 2014 #5
    Thanks! sorry for the late response, but.. why is the magnetic field generated by the loop current nulled out?

7. Nov 3, 2014 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

because the fields ( the ones generated by the current flowing in the loop) in the 4 sides of the loop are equal and opposite

that is ... the field in the left long side is equal and opposite to the one in the right long side, so those 2 cancel out
    and the one in the top short side is equal and opposite to the one in the bottom short side, and again those 2 cancel out

This leaves only the effect of the magnetic field generated by the straight wire has on the loop
    again, the one in the top short side is equal and opposite to the one in the bottom short side so there is no
    force on the top and bottom sections

BUT

there is a difference in force on the 2 side sections from the straight wire generated field.
    The left side ( the one closest to the straight wire) is subject to a stronger force than the right side
    as he shows with the larger arrow pointing to the left than to the right.
    This causes the loop to move sideways to the left ( towards the straight wire),

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook