Calculating Magnetic Interactions in Parallel Wires

In summary, the conversation discusses a cross-sectional view of two parallel wires carrying equal currents in opposite directions. The direction of the magnetic field at a point P is determined using the right hand rule and the result is a vector pointing 45 degrees southeast. When a third wire is introduced, the direction of the magnetic force on the current in the new wire is determined using the cross-product formula and the right hand rule, resulting in a vector pointing upward. For the third part, the location of the wire is determined by cancelling out the existing magnetic field at P, resulting in the wire being placed 4 squares down and 4 squares to the right of P.
choco_moo

Homework Statement

Shown at right is a cross-sectional view of two long straight wires that are parallel to one another. One wire carries a current out of the page; the other carries an equal current into the page. I don't know how to show the diagrams, but the current into the page is at (3,0), the current out of the page is at (8,5) and P is at (8,0). I'm judging this by their locations in the diagram.

a. Draw a vector on the diagram to show the direction of the magnetic field, if any, at point P. Explain your reasoning.

b. Suppose that a third wire, carrying another current out of the page, passes through point P. Draw a vector on the diagram to indicate the magnetic force, if any, exerted on the current in the new wire at P. If the magnitude of the force is zero, indicate that explicitly. Explain your reasoning.

c.Suppose instead that the third wire (carrying the same current out of the page) is placed such that the magnetic field at point P has zero magnitude. Determine the location of the third wire. Clearly indicate on the diagram at right the correct location of the new wire. Explain how you determined your answer.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I drew the vector at point P 45 degrees southeast because the B-field from the wire with the current into the page is flowing clockwise, while the B-field from the wire with the current out of the page is flowing counter-clockwise. By using the right hand rule, the fields are pointing right and down at P respectively. When I add the two vectors, the resultant vector is 45 degrees to the bottom-right.

b. For this, I used F = I x B and the right hand rule. I is out of the page at P and the direction of B is the same as in part a. By doing the cross-product, I said that the force must point upward.

c. I have no idea how to do this part. If anyone can explain how I'm supposed to go about this, I really appreciate it!

Also, if anyone can verify my answers for the parts a) and b), that would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
choco_moo said:

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I drew the vector at point P 45 degrees southeast because the B-field from the wire with the current into the page is flowing clockwise, while the B-field from the wire with the current out of the page is flowing counter-clockwise. By using the right hand rule, the fields are pointing right and down at P respectively. When I add the two vectors, the resultant vector is 45 degrees to the bottom-right.

b. For this, I used F = I x B and the right hand rule. I is out of the page at P and the direction of B is the same as in part a. By doing the cross-product, I said that the force must point upward.

c. I have no idea how to do this part. If anyone can explain how I'm supposed to go about this, I really appreciate it!

Also, if anyone can verify my answers for the parts a) and b), that would be great!

(a) Looks good.

(b) Hmmm, the force F should definitely be at a right angle to B, since you must take a cross product involving B in order to get F. B points diagonally downward-rightward, so F cannot be pointing straight upward.

(c) Think of it this way: B due to the first two wires points downward-rightward. What direction must B from the 3rd wire point, in order to cancel the other B to get zero magnetic field?

Redbelly98 said:
(a) Looks good.

(b) Hmmm, the force F should definitely be at a right angle to B, since you must take a cross product involving B in order to get F. B points diagonally downward-rightward, so F cannot be pointing straight upward.

(c) Think of it this way: B due to the first two wires points downward-rightward. What direction must B from the 3rd wire point, in order to cancel the other B to get zero magnetic field?

so for (b), if F must be perpendicular to B, then would F be pointing out of the page?
in (c), would B be going in the opposite direction (upward-leftward)? If so, would the wire be at (3, 5)?

choco_moo said:
so for (b), if F must be perpendicular to B, then would F be pointing out of the page?
No, F must be perpendicular to both I and B, since you are taking the cross-product IxB. Perpendicular to I means that it is in the plane of the paper.

in (c), would B be going in the opposite direction (upward-leftward)?
Yes.
If so, would the wire be at (3, 5)?
That would produce an upward-rightward direction of B at (8,0).

can someone help me with part b) So for wires into the page the field lines go clockwise, otherwise they go counter clockwise.

My thoughts on this where that since the top and bottom rightmost wire are both out of the page, field lines from the top one would go counterclockwise, as well as those from the bottom one.

however, right in between the 2 wires, the lines are in the opposite in the opposite direction of one another and cancel each other out horizontally, and so the only field lines from either of these would be in the downward direction.

Looking at the leftmost wire going into the page, we see that its field lines are in the counter clockwise direction and so the field lines would point in the downward direction.

Using superposition then tells me that the force is in the downward direction?

for part c) I want to say that we need the point to be placed 4 squares down and 4 squares to the right of p, as this would give us a net of 0, but i don't really know how to justify this, or if i am even on the right track.

Redbelly98 said:
That would produce an upward-rightward direction of B at (8,0).

If 3,5 produces an upward-rightward direction of B at 8,0 where else should the third wire be?
I think it has to be to the right of point P to get the upward-leftward B to counteract from the first two wires but I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or not.

Welcome to Physics Forums. :smile:

Here are some questions to help you think about it:

The current of the third wire is ____ (up out of the page, or down into the page)?

Therefore, the magnetic field around the third wire is ____ (clockwise, or counterclockwise)?

So, if the third wire is to the right of P, it would produce a field that points ___ (up, down, left, or right)?

Redbelly98 said:
Welcome to Physics Forums. :smile:

Here are some questions to help you think about it:

The current of the third wire is ____ (up out of the page, or down into the page)?

Therefore, the magnetic field around the third wire is ____ (clockwise, or counterclockwise)?

So, if the third wire is to the right of P, it would produce a field that points ___ (up, down, left, or right)?

The third wire is up out of the page.
The magnetic field will be counterclockwise.
So the field will point left and down? Or maybe just left?

anneli5417 said:
The third wire is up out of the page.
Yes.
The magnetic field will be counterclockwise.
Yes, correct.
So the field will point left and down? Or maybe just left?
No. Does this help?:
[PLAIN]http://wshs.wtvl.k12.me.us/~physics361/elecmag/ab5.jpg[/INDENT][/INDENT]​

Last edited by a moderator:
Redbelly98 said:
No. Does this help?:
[PLAIN]http://wshs.wtvl.k12.me.us/~physics361/elecmag/ab5.jpg[/INDENT][/INDENT][/QUOTE]

Based on that picture, if point P is to the right of the wire wouldn't the tangent line pointing downward be the force on point P?​

Last edited by a moderator:
anneli5417 said:
Based on that picture, if point P is to the right of the wire wouldn't the tangent line pointing downward be the force on point P?
Almost, but there are a couple of problems with what you are saying here (perhaps you meant one thing and wrote something different?):

1. You were saying before (in post #6) the wire is to the right of P, not the other way around.

2. Then tangent line pointing downward is the magnetic field at point P, not the force.

In other words: if the third wire is to the right of P, then the field at P (from that wire) is downward.

However -- we want the field from the 3rd wire to point upward-and-leftward, not downward. So you still have to figure out in what direction that wire is from P. (Hopefully the figure I posted earlier helps. The dot in the middle of the circle represents the third wire.)

I just had a lightbulb moment. So the direction needs to be up and to the left, as in the upper right side of the diagram you showed me. So the third wire has to be down and to the left of point P.

My next question is if it has to be down and to the left of point P, how far from point P should it be? I know that the magnetic force from the wire gets weaker the further you get from the wire. Should it be the same distance from P that the first two wires are? Or because there are two wires creating that first magnetic force down and to the right, should it be closer?

anneli5417 said:
I just had a lightbulb moment. So the direction needs to be up and to the left, as in the upper right side of the diagram you showed me. So the third wire has to be down and to the left of point P.
Yes! You're right :smile:
My next question is if it has to be down and to the left of point P, how far from point P should it be? I know that the magnetic force from the wire gets weaker the further you get from the wire. Should it be the same distance from P that the first two wires are? Or because there are two wires creating that first magnetic force down and to the right, should it be closer?
Hmm, I think it should be closer too, but I haven't worked that part out. For this part, you can use the equation that relates the magnetic field to the distance away from the wire.

Thanks so much! I did the math and figured out how far away it should be.

Related to Calculating Magnetic Interactions in Parallel Wires

1. How do wires interact with magnets?

Wires interact with magnets through the phenomenon of electromagnetism. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field that can attract or repel other magnets. This interaction is the basis for many applications of electricity, such as electric motors and generators.

2. What is the difference between ferromagnetism and electromagnetism?

Ferromagnetism is the ability of certain materials, such as iron, to become permanently magnetized. Electromagnetism, on the other hand, refers to the magnetic field created by an electric current flowing through a wire. While both involve magnetic interactions, ferromagnetism is a property of certain materials whereas electromagnetism is a phenomenon that can be created and controlled by the flow of electricity.

3. Can wires be used to control the strength of a magnetic field?

Yes, wires can be used to control the strength of a magnetic field through the amount of electric current flowing through them. The greater the current, the stronger the magnetic field will be. This is the principle behind electromagnets, which can be turned on or off by controlling the flow of electricity through the wires.

4. How do magnetic interactions between wires affect electronic devices?

Magnetic interactions between wires can affect electronic devices in several ways. For example, if a strong magnetic field is present near a wire, it can induce an electric current in the wire and cause interference with electronic circuits. This is why electronic devices are often shielded from magnetic fields to prevent this interference.

5. What is the role of wire thickness in magnetic interactions?

The thickness of a wire can affect its magnetic interactions in two ways. First, a thicker wire can carry more electric current, resulting in a stronger magnetic field. Second, the thickness of a wire can also affect its resistance, which can impact the amount of current flowing through it and therefore the strength of the magnetic field it produces.