1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic layers in a spherical magnet.

1. Oct 31, 2012 #1
    Correct me if I'm wrong about anything. I've browsed here many times, but this is my first post.

I was thinking about Prince Rupert's Drop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Rupert's_Drop) and I wondered about spherical magnets.
    Prince Rupert's Drop is able to withstand high magnitudes of force because the insides cooling contracts pulling the glass molecules closer together.
    My chem teacher, the science department chair, attributed magnetic properties by the arrangement layers in magnets. If layers were spherically arranged (like Earth's layers), would the spherical magnetic be magnetic? Would the core of the magnet, I'll call it South, cancel out the North pole or would the entire North pole be extra strong?

To clarify, a South pole of any magnet would attract to any point on this magnet's surface.
    Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2012 #2
    Ah, the old spherical magnet idea.

Imagine a flat sheet magnet with lines of magnetic field leaving the top (north) and travelling round the edges of the sheet to the bottom.

Now bend the sheet into a cylinder. The lines now pass from the outside to the inside through the ends.

Now close the ends slowly. The lines become constricted, passing through the closing hole Until just before the hole closes they are highly concentrated into a thin thread.

When the hole closes, the lines are finally cut and the magnetic field is extinguished.

The final result is a metal sphere with no magnetic field.

4. Nov 1, 2012 #3

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

What is the connection between Prince Rupert's Drop of glass and spherical magnets?

You have not given a clear description of your proposed spherical magnet. You say, "the arrangement layers in magnets. If layers were spherically arranged (like Earth's layers)...". Now, what does that mean? Can you please provide a diagram or a clearly written description of the proposed sphere? Only then will it be possible to attempt comments.

We already know that solid spheres can only be axially magnetized and it's field would look just like the earth's magnetic field with a North pole and a South pole.

Is it possible your teacher is referring to a "Halbach Sphere"?

Cheers,
    Bobbywhy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook