Flux diode, magnetic semiconductors

In summary, magnetic semiconductors are devices that can alter or switch on/off electric current flow depending on the magnetic field strength, or alter the magnetic flux or the field itself. They come in the two styles mentioned above, and have the potential to do some cool things, like create magnetic diode devices that can only travel one way.
Salvador
So I was reading about magnetic semiconductors and I got confused so can you please clarify I will ask a question that is made up of two parts.
Magnetic semiconductors are ...
a) devices that alter or switch on/off electric current flow depending on the magnetic field strength etc applied OR
b) devices that alter the magnetic flux or the field itself and are controlled with electric current or potential themselves?

I kinda think the second B one is closer to truth because as the word implies " magnetic" semiconductor would be something like a transformer core that has flux through it but with the ability to control the amount of flux passing through it much like a transistor controls the amount of current through it, correct?If these devices are possible then I have a further question would an electric field semiconductor be possible , like for example a device which can control the electric field through it like a capacitor with a special dielectric that could be altered to alter the field strength and the capacitance?

And finally could a magnetic diode be possible , like a material that allows magnetic field lines to travel only one way ? Like when you attach N-S to the device the magnets stick but if you put them S-N the magnets can't feel each other? Or for example a material taht could cancel out or rather reroute the field between opposite poles but let through the field from alike poles?

thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Salvador said:
a) devices that alter or switch on/off electric current flow depending on the magnetic field strength etc applied OR

These devices are called Hall effect devices ( google it) and come in the 2 styles
1) the current flow through them varies with the magnetic field strength
2) the current is switched depending on if there is a magnetic field present or not

your b application I have never heard ... don't know if it exists or not ... some one else may be able to commentDave

well yes I know hall effect devices but these are different. well anyways i hope someone could give me some insight on the other part of my question

what do you mean different ?

Salvador said:
i hope someone could give me some insight on the other part of my question

then you may have to be more specific ... links to what you have been reading etcDave

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_semiconductor

basically a better explanation of the above link would come in handy.
and what i originally thought by saying devices that alter the magnetic flux is well normally a transistor is a switch for current , but here we have a device which is a switch for field flux lines in a material , for example we can alter the electric field by changing the type of dielectric between capacitor plates , could we also vary the flux through a inductor core or similar by varying the properties of a material being inserted in the core or maybe the core itself is that material.

and a more crazy question that came in mind while reading about this , imagine two permanent magnets , is there the slightest chance that there is a material which allows the magnets to "feel" each other when they are placed with the like poles together with the material in the middle ,and not "feel" each other when they are placed with opposite poles facing each other, again with the material in the middle.?if there would be a way to achieve this property it would make some cool things possible.

anyone?

1. What is a flux diode?

A flux diode is a type of semiconductor device that utilizes magnetic fields to control the flow of electric current. It consists of two layers of different magnetic materials with a thin layer of non-magnetic material in between.

2. How does a flux diode work?

A flux diode works by using the different magnetic properties of its two layers to create a magnetic field that can either attract or repel charged particles, thus controlling the flow of electric current through the device.

3. What are the advantages of using a flux diode?

One of the main advantages of using a flux diode is its ability to switch between on and off states at a much faster rate compared to traditional semiconductor devices. This makes it useful for high-speed switching applications, such as in power electronics and communication systems.

4. What are magnetic semiconductors?

Magnetic semiconductors are materials that exhibit both magnetic and semiconductor properties. These materials have potential applications in spintronics, which is a field of electronics that utilizes the spin of electrons rather than their charge to store and process information.

5. How are flux diodes and magnetic semiconductors related?

Flux diodes are made from magnetic semiconductors and utilize their unique properties to control the flow of electric current. The combination of these two materials allows for more efficient and faster switching compared to traditional semiconductor devices.