Magnetic Moment, Electron Spin, Energy

In summary, the PE of a magnetic moment in an external magnetic field is given by U = -u dot B. To calculate the energy difference between two possible orientations of an electron in a magnetic field B = .6k T, use the electron spin, S_z, and the gyromagnetic ratio, g = 2. The angular momentum to use is S_z, and it is defined as the spin of the electron.
roeb

Homework Statement

The PE of a magnetic moment in an external magnetic field is given by U = -u dot B. Calculate the difference in energy between the two possible orientations of an electron in a magnetic field B = .6k T

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize electrons can have an up spin and down spin, but I am having a hard time doing this problem.

I believe I should be using g = 2 for the gyromagnetic ratio. So: (_h = h bar)
uz = -g uB JZ/_h
uB = e(_h)/(2me)

Unfortunately then I don't know what I should have for Jz. (This is defined by my book as "any type of angular momentum).

So I guess my problem is that I don't know what I should use for angular momentum, since n and l aren't defined in the problem. Can anyone help clear this up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the electron spin, S_z. Strange you would know about the gyromagnetic ratio but not about which angular momentum that refers to in the case of an electron!

You are correct that the energy of a magnetic moment in an external magnetic field is given by U = -u dot B, where u is the magnetic moment and B is the magnetic field. In this case, we are dealing with an electron, which has a spin angular momentum of 1/2. This means that the possible values for Jz are +1/2 and -1/2.

Using the equation you provided, uz = -g uB JZ/_h, we can calculate the energy difference between the two possible orientations of the electron in the magnetic field B = 0.6 kT. Since Jz can take on two values, we will calculate the energy difference for both cases:

For Jz = +1/2:
uz = -g uB (1/2)/_h = -g uB/2_h
Plugging in the values for g, uB, and _h, we get:
uz = -(2)(1.602 x 10^-19 C)(0.6 x 10^-3 T)/2(6.626 x 10^-34 J s) = -2.404 x 10^-24 J

For Jz = -1/2:
uz = -g uB (-1/2)/_h = g uB/2_h
Plugging in the values for g, uB, and _h, we get:
uz = (2)(1.602 x 10^-19 C)(0.6 x 10^-3 T)/2(6.626 x 10^-34 J s) = 2.404 x 10^-24 J

Therefore, the energy difference between the two possible orientations of the electron in the magnetic field B = 0.6 kT is 4.808 x 10^-24 J. This represents the difference in energy between the electron's up spin and down spin states. I hope this helps clarify the problem for you.

1. What is a magnetic moment?

A magnetic moment is a measure of the strength and direction of a magnetic field produced by a charged particle, such as an electron.

2. How does electron spin relate to magnetic moment?

Electron spin is one of the properties that contributes to the magnetic moment of an atom or molecule. The direction of an electron's spin determines the direction of its magnetic moment.

3. What is the relationship between magnetic moment and energy?

The energy of a magnetic moment is directly proportional to its strength. This means that a stronger magnetic moment will have a higher energy.

4. How is magnetic moment used in scientific research?

Magnetic moment is used in a variety of research fields, such as materials science, physics, and chemistry. It can be used to study the properties of materials and molecules, as well as to understand the behavior of electrons in different environments.

5. Can magnetic moment be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, magnetic moment can be manipulated and controlled in a variety of ways. Scientists can use external magnetic fields to change the direction and strength of magnetic moments, which can have practical applications in technologies such as data storage and medical imaging.