Magnetism and conservation of energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential energy gained by magnetic metal balls when lifted by a bar magnet, and questions how this fits into the conservation of energy. The experts explain that the energy used to lift the balls comes from the magnetic field of the magnet, which was created with energy in the first place. When the balls are removed, the energy is returned to the field, maintaining conservation. The conversation also touches on the potential energy of objects relative to a magnet and how it relates to the energy of the magnetic field. Ultimately, it is concluded that all energy used and gained is conserved.
royp
Hello Guys

I am a new joinee and this is my first question. I apologise if the question is little trivial. Basically, Think of the following:

Scenario: There is a strong bar magnet and some magnetic metal balls lying on the floor of a room.

Step 1: I lift the magnet from the floor and hold it in my hand. I hold it to a certain height

Step2. I use the magnet from that height (if necessary, moving it in the horizontal plane) to lift a ball. Basically the ball is lifted by the attractive force (assuming it is a sufficiently strong magnet) of the magnet. Now this ball has acquired some potential energy (compared to the floor), depending on its mass m and the height h.

Step3. I repeat step2 for other balls lying on the floor.

Conclusion: We can conclude that the magnetic force of the bar magnet did the work to lift each ball which resulted in the corresponding gain in potential energy.

Question: Now, my question is : In terms of conservation of energy, how do you explain this? I mean, there are some gain in energy (of these balls), but where is the corresponding loss to account for the conservation of energy? Have we not, even if very slightly, increased the total energy of the whole universe?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good one!

The answer as always is you have to look at the larger picture.

When the magnet was made, a lot of energy had to be expended to create it's magnetic field. That energy is not lost, it's stored in the magnet's field.

When you use that energy to lift your balls, the field energy is diminished slightly (the magnet is not quite as strong now).
When you remove the balls, the energy is returned to the field (magnet regains it's strength).

Many thanks, AJ. I think I got my explanations

Consider that potential energy isn't only due to gravitational force. There is a difference in potential energy between a relaxed spring and one that is compressed or stretched, and there is a difference in potential energy between a ferrous object and a magnet (or two magnets) at any two distances from each other.

You can extract work from a pair of magnets falling toward each other, but will have to put in the same amount of work to move them back apart from each other. If one magnet is lifting the other in a gravity field, the difference in gravitational potential energy is subtracted from the magnetic potential energy available to perform work. The excess energy is dissipated in the collision as noise and heat, and a tiny amount as electromagnetic radiation due to the shifting magnetic fields. Overall, energy is still conserved.

I used to have this same question when I was in high school but I figured it out quickly.

Its trivial, there is a potential relative to the magnet, so there is no contradiction wit conservation of energy. This is why the process is not repeatable.

royp said:
? I mean, there are some gain in energy (of these balls), but where is the corresponding loss to account for the conservation of energy? ?

The gain in the gravitational potential energy of the balls is offset by the loss in magnetic potential energy between the balls and the magnet.

(The magnetic potential energy between the balls and the magnetic is lowered as the balls get closer to the magnet...and energy is required to separate them).

Defining potential of metal balls relative to the magnet is a clumsy way of doing things. Look at the energy of magnetic field instead.

royp said:

Conclusion:
We can conclude that the magnetic force of the bar magnet did the work to lift each ball which resulted in the corresponding gain in potential energy.

Ahh... but work was required to place these items in position to create the effect.
Thus, all is conserved.

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a phenomenon that occurs when certain materials, such as iron and nickel, attract or repel other materials. It is caused by the movement of electrons within an atom, which creates a magnetic field.

2. How does magnetism relate to conservation of energy?

In the context of energy, magnetism is related to the principle of conservation of energy. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In the case of magnetism, energy can be converted between magnetic potential energy and kinetic energy.

3. What is the difference between permanent magnets and electromagnets?

Permanent magnets are made of materials that are naturally magnetic, such as iron and cobalt, and maintain their magnetic field without an external source. Electromagnets, on the other hand, are created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire and can be turned on and off.

4. How does magnetism impact our daily lives?

Magnetism plays a crucial role in many aspects of our daily lives. It is used in compasses for navigation, MRI machines for medical imaging, and in many electronic devices such as speakers, motors, and generators.

5. Can magnets lose their magnetism over time?

Yes, magnets can lose their magnetism over time. This is known as demagnetization and can occur due to exposure to strong heat or other magnetic fields, or by dropping or hitting the magnet. However, some materials, such as neodymium, are more resistant to demagnetization than others.