1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetism, component values, and three dimensions

1. Jul 31, 2007 #1

exi

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A magnetic field has these components:

x: B = 0.056 T
    y: B = 0.046 T

The particle has a charge of +6.5e-5 C, has a velocity of 2.6e3 m/s, and is moving along the z axis.

Questions:

1: What's the magnitude of the net magnetic force on the particle?

2: What's the angle the net force makes with respect to the x axis?

2. Relevant equations

F = qvb(sinΘ)
    Component addition of the x- and y- values.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have the answer to #1 by adding the x- and y- components and getting a resulting magnitude of 0.0725 T at 39.4007° between those axes. (0.01225 N)

On #2, I apparently incorrectly assumed that the net force was directed along the z-axis and is therefore 90° from the x-axis. Is the angle I found earlier (39.4007°) indeed the answer to this question? I'm unsure.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you got lucky with the correct magnitude because x^2 + y^2 = y^2 + x^2. I suspect the values you have for Fx and Fy and in fact reversed.

Use the Lorentz force equation in vector form (what do you know about the cross - or vector - product) to determine magnitudes and directions of each component.

4. Jul 31, 2007 #3

exi

The x- and y- magnitude components are correct; just double-checked them.

Not sure what you're getting at as far as a Lorentz equation; that's new to me.

5. Jul 31, 2007 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, so did you use [itex]F_x = -qv_zB_y[/itex] and [itex]F_y = qv_zB_x[/itex]?

This is simply the scalar breakup of the vector equation [itex]\vec{F} = q (\vec{v} \times \vec{B}) [/itex]. Have you seen this equation in this form? Have you dealt with cross products yet?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  6. Jul 31, 2007 #5

exi

Whoa, for the first part? No, I did it the good ol' fashioned way, with [itex]|B| = \sqrt{0.056^2 + 0.046^2}[/itex].

And yeah, that does look familiar, albeit in already-crossed [itex]F_B = qvBsin\theta[/itex] form. I think I'm having a bit of a hard time with the angle bit, since I have an angle from the x- and y- components and am not exactly sure what to do with the rest of what's here.

7. Jul 31, 2007 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, in that case, all you need to remember is that the force, F is always perpendicular to both the field, B, and the velocity v. So, it must be one of the 2 normals to B in the x-y plane. Which one, is determined by the right hand rule.

8. Aug 1, 2007 #7

exi

If I do what I think is the RHR for this question (with my thumb pointing upwards, towards the ceiling, for the particle moving along the z-axis, and my fingers extending in the direction of the x-y plane magnetic field at 39.4007° to the right), and if the force is in the direction indicated by my palm, it feels like that would put it at 129° to x. Am I going about this correctly?

9. Aug 1, 2007 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks good.

10. Aug 1, 2007 #9

exi

I thought so too - but it was incorrect and my last submission on that question. Key won't be available until tomorrow am.

Wonder where I went wrong...

11. Aug 1, 2007 #10
    [tex]\displaystyle \vec{B} = (56\,\mathrm{mT})\hat{\i} + (46\,\mathrm{mT})\hat{\j}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle \vec{v} = (2.6\,\mathrm{km/s})\hat{k}[/tex]

When you have components, it is often wasier to calculate the cross product by finding the determinant of the matrix:

[tex]\displaystyle \vec{v}\times\vec{B} =
    \begin{array}{|ccc|}
    \hat{\i} & \hat{\j} & \hat{k}\\
    0 & 0 & 2600\\
    0.056 & 0.046 & 0
    \end{array} = (-119.6)\hat{\i} + (145.6)\hat{\j}
    [/tex]

Now you multiply this by q and you have the force:

[tex]\displaystyle \vec{F} = (-q \cdot 119.6)\hat{\i} + (q\cdot 145.6)\hat{\j}
    [/tex].

The magnitude of a vector [tex]\vec{F} = a\hat{\i} + b\hat{\j}[/tex] is, as you know, [tex]||F|| = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}[/tex] and the angle of the vector with the x axis is [tex]\theta = \arctan{\frac b a}[/tex].

12. Aug 1, 2007 #11

exi

Thanks for the explanation. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?