Magnetization of Permanent Spherical Magnet

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnetization of spherical permanent magnets and the calculation of their effective magnetic moment when attached together. It also mentions an article about magnet levitation and the approximation of magnetic field strength in a solenoid. The conversation concludes with a discussion about the force between a spherical magnet and an iron plate when multiple magnets are attached. No references are provided for further reading.
Michael Lin
Dear all,

1) For a spherical permanent magnet, the magnetization M is defined to be pi/4u0*Br*d^3. My question is: if I attach 4 such spherical magnets together, would the magnetization simply be 4M? Where (website) can I find a good reference for these type of material?

2) I have read in an article, "Magnet levitation at your fingertips" (please google) that for a setup with a solenoid creating a magnetic field, B that B/B' can be approximated by R (for short solenoid) and 1.2 R (for long solenoid). However, I can not find any articles or books that support this claim. How did the author came up with that?

Thanks,
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetization M is usually defined as the magnetic moment per unit volume.
Your formula gives the magnetilc moment, usually designated by m or mu.
The magnetic moments of 4 such magnets would tend to add, but the effective power would be determined by the configuration. They could not be brought close enough to give 4m effectively, since the field falls off quickly with distance.

Thanks for your response to (1).
Is there any way I can calculate the effective M? I can properly simulate or measure the field around 4 such vertically attached magnets and derive M from that. Do you have any good reference that I can look up?

The force between a spherical magnet of radius R with magnetic moment m and a touching iron plate will equal the force between magnetic dipoles a distance 2R apart. This F=6m^2/(2R)^4 dynes (if m is in gauss).
If you use four such spheres, all touching the iron plate, the force will be 4 times as large.

Thanks for your response.
Your explanation is very clear. My concern is, however, if the iron plate is touching only one of the four spherical magnets oriented vertically, will the effective force on the iron plate still be 4 times?

If you put the magnets like this OO
OO, with all four touching the plate,
the force will be four times that of one magnet.
If you line them up like OOOO, with the plate touching only one, it will be only slightly stronger than one magnet.

1. What is a permanent spherical magnet?

A permanent spherical magnet is a type of magnet that retains its magnetization without the need for an external magnetic field. It is usually made of a ferromagnetic material, such as iron, and has a spherical shape.

2. How does a permanent spherical magnet become magnetized?

A permanent spherical magnet becomes magnetized through a process called magnetization. This involves exposing the magnet to an external magnetic field, which aligns the magnetic domains within the magnet and creates a permanent magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the magnetization of a permanent spherical magnet?

The magnetization of a permanent spherical magnet is affected by several factors, including the strength and direction of the external magnetic field, the composition and quality of the magnet material, and the temperature at which the magnetization occurs.

4. Can a permanent spherical magnet lose its magnetization?

Yes, a permanent spherical magnet can lose its magnetization over time due to various factors, such as exposure to high temperatures or strong external magnetic fields, physical damage, and aging of the magnet material. This is known as demagnetization.

5. What are the applications of permanent spherical magnets?

Permanent spherical magnets have many practical applications, including use in motors, generators, speakers, and magnetic bearings. They are also commonly used in magnetic levitation systems, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and other scientific and industrial applications where a strong and stable magnetic field is required.