Magnification for concave mirror

In summary, a concave mirror creates an image on the screen 2x larger than the object. To create an image 3x larger than the object, both the object and screen need to be moved. The screen is moved 0.75 m, which results in 3 unknowns and 2 equations. An expression can be derived for the object displacement in terms of the original object distance.
jaejoon89
A concave mirror creates an image on the screen 2x larger than the object. BOTH objects and screen are subsequently moved in order to create an image on the screen 3x larger than the object. If the screen is moved 0.75 m in this process, how far is the object also moved?

---

Magnification, M = - s_i / s_o
where s_i and s_o are the distances of the image and object, respectively

---

I think the wording's throwing me off. It says the screen is moved--so does that mean the position s_i2 isn't actually 0.75 m but this number is just the displacement from the first value?

In which case:
2 = - s_i1 / s_o1
3 = - s_i2 / s_o2 = - (s_i1 +/- 0.75m) / s_o2 (I'm not sure if it should be + or -)
This would be 2 equations, 3 unknowns so I must be doing something wrong. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's a displacement value.
You can derive an expression for the object displacement in terms of the original object distance. I can't see anything else.

I would approach this problem by first clarifying the language used. You are correct in questioning whether the 0.75 m is the actual displacement or just the distance traveled. This information is important in determining the appropriate equations to use.

Assuming that the 0.75 m is the actual displacement of the screen, we can use the following equations:

M1 = - s_i1 / s_o1
M2 = - s_i2 / s_o2 = - (s_i1 +/- 0.75m) / s_o2

We know that M1 = 2 and M2 = 3, so we can set up the following equations:

2 = - s_i1 / s_o1
3 = - (s_i1 +/- 0.75m) / s_o2

Solving for s_o1, we get s_o1 = -s_i1/2. Substituting this into the second equation, we get:

3 = - (s_i1 +/- 0.75m) / (-s_i1/2)
3 = (s_i1 +/- 0.75m) / (s_i1/2)
6 = s_i1 +/- 0.75m
s_i1 = 6.75m or 5.25m

This means that the object must be moved either 6.75 m or 5.25 m, depending on whether the screen was moved towards or away from the object. This makes sense because moving the object closer or farther from the mirror would affect the magnification.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would recommend clarifying the language used in the problem to ensure the correct equations are used. The final answer would depend on whether the 0.75 m is the actual displacement of the screen or just the distance traveled.

What is magnification for concave mirror?

Magnification for concave mirror is the ratio of the height of the image to the height of the object. It is denoted by the letter "m" and can be calculated using the formula m = -v/u, where v is the image distance and u is the object distance.

How does the shape of a concave mirror affect its magnification?

The shape of a concave mirror plays a crucial role in determining its magnification. A concave mirror with a smaller radius of curvature will have a larger magnification, while a concave mirror with a larger radius of curvature will have a smaller magnification.

What is the difference between positive and negative magnification for concave mirror?

A positive magnification indicates that the image formed by the concave mirror is upright, while a negative magnification indicates that the image formed is inverted. The magnitude of the magnification also differs, with positive magnification having a value greater than 1 and negative magnification having a value less than 1.

How can we use the magnification of a concave mirror in real-life applications?

The magnification of a concave mirror is used in various applications, such as in telescopes to magnify distant objects, in makeup mirrors to magnify facial features, and in laser devices to focus and amplify light. It is also used in medical instruments like endoscopes to magnify internal body parts for better visualization.

What factors can affect the magnification of a concave mirror?

The magnification of a concave mirror can be affected by the distance between the object and the mirror, the shape and size of the mirror, and the wavelength of light used. Additionally, any imperfections or distortions in the mirror's surface can also affect the magnification.