1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude and direction of electric field at point P

1. Jun 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electric dipole is defined as two point charges separated by distance L.
    Consider point P with coordinates (x,0).
    A dipole along the x axis is separated by distance a from the origin. q- is closer to point P
    Find:

1) Electrostatic potential due to dipole at point P
    2) Magnitude and direction of electric field E at point P in terms of dipole moment and distance x

2. Relevant equations

V = k[itex]\frac{q}{r}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

1) Vtot = V+q + V-q

= kq([itex]\frac{1}{x+a}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{x-a}[/itex])

=[itex]\frac{2kqa}{x^2}[/itex]

2) I know that taking the divergence of [itex]\frac{2kqa}{x^2}[/itex] will give a scalar. Is this divergence going to be [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex]? How do I go about getting the magnitude and direction from there?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The value of the gradient is the magnitude of the vector. Since both poles are on the x-axis and your given point is (x, 0), the vector will point along the x-axis to the nearest pole. That means that for x> 0 it points toward (a, 0) and for x< 0, it points toward (-a, 0).

More generally, if the point could be any point in the xy-plane, (x, y), rather than just (x, 0), the potential function would be
    [tex]\phi(x,y)= \frac{kq}{\sqrt{(x-a)^2+ y^2}}+ \frac{kq}{\sqrt{(x+a)^2a+ y^2}}[/tex]
    and the force vector the gradient of that:
    [tex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y}\vec{j}[/tex]

4. Jun 14, 2012 #3
    Ah, I see. Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook