1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude of an electric force problem with vectors

1. Apr 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two equal positive charges, both q = 2.0 x 10^ -6 C, interact with a third charge Q = 4.0 x 10^ -6 C, as shown above. What is the magnitude of the electric force on Q?[/B][/B]

2. Relevant equations
    Electric force = Kc (q1/r^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically, I believe that my problem is in solving the vectors.
    I attempted to break down the charges(it is hard to show this work on here but...) I broke it down into....
    E(y) = E(1) x sin Θ(1) + E(2) x sin Θ(2)
    E(x) = E(1) x cox Θ(1) - E(2) sin Θ(2)
    I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it was all I could think of...Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2007 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm sure you meant "cos", not "sin" there right?

While waiting for the image, it sounds like your reasoning is correct. You are summing the x and y componants of the separate forces on the thrid charge. Next you need to determine the net force.

Hey, how did you type those thetas in there?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  4. Apr 30, 2007 #3
    thanks chi,
    so i believe my second set should actually look like...
    E(x) = E(1) x cosx Θ(1) - E(2) cos Θ(2)
    then once i plug in my values and simplify, i should get my x component any my y component, right? then i just use the pythagorean theorem to solve?

oh, and for the thetas i just happened to come across one on a wensite and i copied and pasted. .

5. Apr 30, 2007 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Θ

wow, must be some ASCII trick.

Anyway, now that I see the drawing, please notice that the two vertical componants are balancing out while the two horizontal componants are working together. Simpler now, isn't it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?