Magnitude of Average Acceleration

In summary, a Super Ball with a mass of 50.0 g and initial velocity of 27.0 m/s bounces off a brick wall and rebounds at 15.0 m/s. The ball is in contact with the wall for 4.50 ms, and a high-speed camera records the event. To find the average acceleration of the ball during this time interval, the distance traveled (108m) and the time it takes for the ball to return (7.2s) are calculated. Using the formula (vf-vi)/(tf-ti), the average acceleration is determined to be 1.071 m/s^2.
jets29
A 50.0 g Super Ball traveling at 27.0 m/s bounces off a brick wall and rebounds at 15.0 m/s. A high-speed camera records this event. If the ball is in contact with the wall for 4.50 ms, what is the magnitude of the average acceleration of the ball during this time interval?

I can't seem to get this problem right. Initially i converted 4.5ms to .0045s. Then I chose a time such as 4s to determine a distance and have a time perspective. I then multiplied 27x4 to determine the distance and got 108m, Then I determined the time it would take for the ball to return and got 7.2s. Then I used all this info with the .0045 included in the total time to calculate the average acceleration= (vf-vi)/(tf-ti). when everything was plugged in, (15-27)/(11.2045-0)=1.071m/s^2(assuming the absolute value is what they want when they say magnitude)
This is wrong. Any help will do thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
never mind i got it

Your approach is mostly correct, but there are a few errors in your calculations. Here's a step-by-step solution:

1. First, convert 4.50 ms to seconds: 4.50 ms = 0.00450 s.

2. Next, calculate the distance traveled by the ball during the 4.50 ms of contact with the wall. This can be done using the formula d = v_avg * t, where d is the distance, v_avg is the average velocity, and t is the time. In this case, the average velocity is (27.0 + 15.0)/2 = 21.0 m/s. Therefore, the distance traveled by the ball during the 4.50 ms of contact with the wall is:
d = 21.0 m/s * 0.00450 s = 0.0945 m.

3. Now, we need to determine the time interval for which the ball is in motion. This is the total time, which includes the 4.50 ms of contact with the wall, as well as the time it takes for the ball to travel from the wall back to its initial position. This can be calculated as follows:
Total time = 4.50 ms + (distance traveled by the ball / average velocity)
= 0.00450 s + (0.0945 m / 21.0 m/s)
= 0.00450 s + 0.00450 s
= 0.00900 s.

4. Now, we can use the formula for average acceleration, a_avg = (vf - vi)/t, where a_avg is the average acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval. In this case, vf = 15.0 m/s, vi = 27.0 m/s, and t = 0.00900 s. Therefore, the average acceleration of the ball during the 4.50 ms of contact with the wall is:
a_avg = (15.0 m/s - 27.0 m/s)/0.00900 s
= -12.0 m/s^2.

5. Since the question asks for the magnitude of the average acceleration, we need to take the absolute value of the result we obtained in step 4. Therefore, the magnitude of the average acceleration of the ball during the 4.50 ms of contact with

1. What is the definition of Magnitude of Average Acceleration?

The Magnitude of Average Acceleration refers to the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity that includes both the direction and the magnitude of the change in velocity.

2. How is Magnitude of Average Acceleration calculated?

Magnitude of Average Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it took for the change to occur. This can be represented by the equation a = (v2 - v1) / t, where a is the acceleration, v2 is the final velocity, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What is the difference between Magnitude of Average Acceleration and Instantaneous Acceleration?

Magnitude of Average Acceleration refers to the overall change in velocity over a period of time, while Instantaneous Acceleration refers to the change in velocity at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration takes into account the initial and final velocities, while instantaneous acceleration only considers the velocity at a specific point.

4. How does Magnitude of Average Acceleration affect an object's motion?

Magnitude of Average Acceleration plays a crucial role in an object's motion. If the acceleration is positive, the object's speed is increasing, while a negative acceleration indicates a decrease in speed. The direction of the acceleration also determines the direction of the object's motion.

5. Can Magnitude of Average Acceleration be negative?

Yes, Magnitude of Average Acceleration can be negative. A negative acceleration indicates a decrease in speed, while a positive acceleration shows an increase in speed. The negative or positive sign of the acceleration depends on the direction of the change in velocity.